Photo Courtesy of Pace Athletics.
Softball Sweeps Doubleheader vs Georgian Court
Dylan Brown, Managing Editor • March 20, 2024

LAKEWOOD, N.J.- Pace picked up two road wins versus Georgian Court University yesterday afternoon. Game 1 went Pace's way with a final score...

Front of Miller Hall. Photo Courtesy of webpage.pace.edu
President Krislov on Campus Involvement and School-Town Relations
Dylan Brown, Managing Editor • March 18, 2024

This article is on the topic of on-campus involvement and school/town relations. For the article about academics, the article about student life,...

Outside of the Office of SGA
Diaz And Tracey Wins 2024 SGA Election
Pace Chronicle StaffMarch 15, 2024

Incumbent President Nick Diaz and Vice President Paris Tracey have won reelection to their respective offices in the Student Government Association....

College Doesn’t Need To Be Alcohol Induced

Screen shot 2013-10-16 at 1.37.52 AM

Drinking in college is glorified in pop-culture- a perfect example is Asher Roth’s “I Love College.” With lyrics like “Drink my drink…that party last night was awfully crazy..” it is clear that college is typically deemed as a time to do just that drink and go crazy… unwind with a few shots… use alcohol as a type of “reward” for finishing a research paper or two.

Acronyms that pop up on social media contribute to this message of drinking as an imperative part of college and letting loose after a long week. Turnt (turn up) Tuesday. Thirsty Thursday. Sunday Funday. Friday and Saturday speak for themselves; they don’t need acronyms. At the end of a busy week, some students can’t wait to party,or even just to sit in a friend’s dorm and have a drink or two. Or several. Alcohol becomes a weekend staple for some at Pace. But it doesn’t need to be to a college necessity. Fun can be found without breaking any laws or putting yourself in danger. Relaxation and unwinding after a long week does not need to include drinking.

Asher Roth does also say “Drink my drink…but my good friends is all I need.” This lyric shows what college is really all about. Not drinking. Not smoking. Not partying. College is about meeting new people, creating new bonds, and maintaining old friendships. It is about having people to rely on and to grow with. College is about finding your true self, and finding people who accept your true self. In other words, your truest friends are not the ones you become “besties” with during a night of partying and blurry iPhone selfies. Your truest friends are the ones you be- come close to without the use of illegal substances. True friends will love you, alcohol-induced or not. Alcohol is not needed to relax after a hectic week. Good friends, as Asher Roth puts it, are all you need.

Once in while, instead of drinking, students may go down to check out an event at the Perk or in Pleasantville- club or organization sponsored movie event nights are enjoyed by students, as are other events such as the recent Perk Bingo night. (Bingo might sound lame, but it can be a really fun event with minimal effort).

Last Thursday, I found myself watching a movie as part of a hall council event in my friends’ dorm hall. Soda, popcorn, a milkshake from the Perk, and 1970s horror film (Carrie based on the Stephen King novel) made for a great night. It was a night with no prob- lems. Relaxing with close friends was the perfect end to a hectic week- and illegal substances were nowhere to be found at the event. It was nice to know that I was in a safe place surrounded by dear friends. It was almost nicer to know that no one was judging me for wearing pajama pants with gross old Ugg boots. We were all unwinding after a hectic week without skinny jeans, lip gloss, or the smell of beer on anyone’s breath. It is possible to have fun without these things.

Alcohol is not needed to relax. It is not needed to end the week- it should not be a reward for finishing an assignment or for calming mid-semester stress. This is something my mother does with a glass of wine- but we’re in college. We should be able to handle the pressure placed on us without turning to alcohol. As long as we have close friends to turn to, we can make it through.