What’s the Deal With Drugs?

What%E2%80%99s+the+Deal+With+Drugs%3F+

The deal with drugs is that there is only a deal if you seek one. But drug usage is not glorified or idealized throughout the majority of the Pace community, and drugs, in my opinion, are not seen as something necessary for the college experience.

Some think that drugs are glorified on college campuses. It is generally known that those who want drugs can find a way to get them. However, from my perspective, neither drug usage nor drug dealing are glorified on the Pace campus. While some people claim their hallway reeks of weed and others here tell of unverified accounts of molly-usage, I have little reason to believe that drug usage on the Pace campus is any indicator of being “cool,” “popular,” or having any kind of better college social life experience than those who do not partake in the usage of illegal substances. Drugs are not (at least not by me) seen as necessary for a fantastic college experience, nor are they looked at by all as a romantic ideal of what can be a part of a college experience.

Pop culture may contribute to any alleged glorification of drug usage in society in general. From indie music to rap, drugs are mentioned pretty regularly. Some examples include songs like Time to Pretend by MGMT, which mentions heroin. Kid Cudi seems to make drug usage a common theme throughout his songs. But I don’t take these lyrics seriously, and I think it is safe enough to assume that many other people also are not swayed by the portrayal of drugs in music and pop culture, enough to connect drug usage with some glamorized idea of a good time.

TV may also contribute to the allegedly glorified madness that involves drug usage, and drug dealing. Breaking Bad recently ended- I didn’t watch that show, but I do know that it was all about drugs – specifically selling drugs and the moral implications involved. Television shows such as Breaking Bad could arguably romanticize drug usage and drug selling- the lead character on Breaking Bad apparently produced the “purest form of crystal meth” so he could provide for his family. It is one of the many cases of television that is seen as romanticizing involvement with hard drugs.

Bringing the focus back down to the Pace campus- my opinion still stands. Despite the attention and focus of the media, I do not think that drugs are glorified or romanticized on campus. Personally, I have never felt pressured to try anything. I have never heard anyone speak about drugs in a way that lead me to believe that drugs are seen as something glamorous and sought after in order to have a good time. I have heard people talk about drugs, yes. But not in a way that idealized the drugs or the state of mind caused by intake of drugs. And not in a way in which I felt that I needed or wanted to try anything in order to not miss out on any kind of college social experience.

Perhaps this is only because I surround myself with good people, with people who don’t judge me for what I do or don’t do. However, I feel that this is the case with the majority of people at Pace. We are a diverse campus with diverse interests and backgrounds, and for the most part, I would say that the Pace community in general, is not one that romanticizes drug use.

Upon asking students if drug use is glorified (both in general and on campus), I got some differing answers.
“Drug use is absolutely glorified,” said one student who chose to remain anonymous. “The idea of being high all the time is just everywhere. Or being drunk all the time.”

According to this student, the drug-induced states of being are romanticized throughout both the Pace community, and college communities in general. Drugs are an illegal yet attainable option that appeals to students for various reasons- the influence of social media, the influence of pop culture, and the temptation of escaping one’s troubles.

Again, I disagree with this student. I believe that the option to do drugs is always available, but it is not glorified in any way. The “idea of being high all the time” might exist, but, in my opinion, it is just that- an idea. An option. It is an option that you can take, or you can ignore. An option or an idea does not equal glorification. In other words, the fact that some people might be high all the time or have an idea of college as a time to be constantly high does not mean that there are any number of people who think this is a fantastic idea. Some might, for sure. But, I think it is safe to say that “being high all the time” is not something that the majority of students strive for. The same goes for being “drunk all the time.” The idealization of drugs is not something that is exactly commonplace at Pace.

Another student I spoke to sides more with my viewpoint.

“I don’t think that drug use is specifically glorified on the Pace campus. I do think some people use ‘college life’ as an excuse to try drugs. It’s overrated,” sophomore nursing major Jennifer Robertson said.
Robertson was conveying the point that, while drugs are accepted by some as a common aspect of “college life”, the use of drugs is not necessarily thought of as imperative to the college experience by all students.

Robertson also used the word “overrated” to describe drug use- specifically the excuse of being in college. “Overrated” is very different than “glorified.” “Overrated” leads one to think that drugs are accepted easily enough, but not at all romanticized by any vast majority of the college community.
So, the deal with drugs is that there is no deal, and no pressure to partake in drug usage, unless you put yourself in that situation.