The cast of Our Lady Of 121st Street at Arc Stages. 
Left to right: Jillian Hinz, Evan Mahanna, Patrick Purcell, Belle Duddie, Kendall Key, Marquise McCullough, Lilah McCormack, Darius Tiru, Leanna Ward, Michaela Elyse Williams, Faith Andrews,  Payton Cocchia.
Pace University's Spring Play: Our Lady of 121st Street

Pace University’s spring play, Stephen Adly Guirgis’ Our Lady of 121st Street, premiered this past week at Arc Stages in Pleasantville. Opening...

Response to BIPOC Mentors Unpaid Since Fall
Response to "BIPOC Mentors Unpaid Since Fall"
Pace Chronicle StaffApril 12, 2024

We thank Dr. Stephanie Akunvabey, Ms. Nila Bhaumik, and Ms. Susan Donahue for taking the article, posted on March 15th, 2024, into consideration...

Graduate Attacker Sydney Juvelier(#14) leaps in celebration with teammates Nikki Mottes(#28) and Lindsay Radmann(#23) vs Adelphi University on April 10, 2024(pacewlax/IG)
#1 WLAX Overcomes #3 Adelphi in Road Test

GARDEN CITY, N.Y.-  Another top-5 matchup went to the Setters. Pace Women's Lacrosse defeated the Adelphi University Panthers 12-11 on the road....

Tattoos, Piercings, and Your Job Prospects

Tattoos, Piercings,  and Your Job Prospects

People get tattoos for a variety of reason. Some tattoos might honor a family member or significant other. Some may pay homage to a heritage or passion. Maybe some tattoos are just something to signify that a teenager is an individual who is no longer under the complete jurisdiction of his or her parents.  At Pace, opinions on tattoos differ, but the general consensus seems to be that tattoos are okay as long as they have some form of value to the owner.

Many of my friends have gotten tattoos and piercings in recent years, and for the most part, I have supported these decisions. But I still cannot see the ultimate point in getting a tattoo, at least not for myself.

We are all well versed in the idea that tattoos and piercings may not be viewed well in the job market. A giant skull on your face is probably not going to help you get hired- unless you’re applying for a job at a tattoo parlor.  However, according to an article in Forbes called “Tattoos: No Longer a Kiss of Death in the Workplace,” some white-collar employers are taking a more lax approach when it comes to judging potential workers on their appearance.  The article cites the case of the vice president of a sports company in Philadelphia, who landed the job despite having tattoos across her chest.

That being said, some employers still might judge on appearance, something the Forbes article also makes clear.

This still leaves options for tattoos, however. The hip, the ankle, wrists, the “tramp-stamp,” are all still viable options that won’t hurt one’s standing in the job market or at line in the career fair.

But, I still can never see myself getting a tattoo; it’s expensive. That is money I would rather spend on textbooks and pizza, or save for concert tickets. I understand that tattoos can have meaning, but personally I would rather express myself through other means. But, I am very biased because I have terrible buyer’s remorse. I can hardly purchase a shirt without regretting it, so I couldn’t imagine marking myself for life.

Another problem with tattoos: we all age, and tattoos fade and stretch. Perhaps some don’t, and perhaps there will be better technology to avoid this problem in the future. But still, fading and stretching of tattoos remains a problem.

While I remain afraid to “get inked,” many Pace students do not share my fear.

“I have one tattoo and am getting another. Personally, I need my tattoos to have meaning to me,” sophomore criminal justice major Mackenzie Ferguson said. “But I won’t judge others if their tattoos don’t have meaning, it’s alright if people choose get tattoos just because they liked how they looked.”

Other students agreed that tattoos should be meaningful, even if the value is only in “how it looks,” or, in other words, in the form of artistic expression and beauty.

“I’d only get a tattoo if it’s meaningful. It should be of value to you,” sophomore communications major Steve Cosentino said.

One student I spoke to made an excellent point when it comes to tattoos, piercings or anything else.

“Do whatever you want, as long as you’re cool with it,” sophomore nursing major Heather Remsen said.

Remsen’s words make sense, and the message here is that students should remain true to themselves while making practical decisions that won’t hinder any future careers.