Response to BIPOC Mentors Unpaid Since Fall
Response to "BIPOC Mentors Unpaid Since Fall"
Pace Chronicle Staff April 12, 2024

We thank Dr. Stephanie Akunvabey, Ms. Nila Bhaumik, and Ms. Susan Donahue for taking the article, posted on March 15th, 2024, into consideration...

Graduate Attacker Sydney Juvelier(#14) leaps in celebration with teammates Nikki Mottes(#28) and Lindsay Radmann(#23) vs Adelphi University on April 10, 2024(pacewlax/IG)
#1 WLAX Overcomes #3 Adelphi in Road Test

GARDEN CITY, N.Y.-  Another top-5 matchup went to the Setters. Pace Women's Lacrosse defeated the Adelphi University Panthers 12-11 on the road....

Monkey Man Poster
Source: Wikipedia
Monkey Man: The Revival of Action Movies

Monkey Man is an action/thriller movie released on March 11th, 2024, directed by and starring Dev Patel. Patel’s career breakthrough was his...

Volunteering: Give Back and Gain Experience

It’s that time of year again- the holiday season. Whether it is through volunteering or giving spare change to Salvation Army Santas, it is a time to give back to our communities and be thankful for all that we have. But being thankful and giving back should be a year round occurrence. Thankfully, Pace offers many volunteer opportunities almost every month.

The Center for Community Action and Research at Dyson College (CCAR) is available to Pace students to provide opportunities to students to volunteer in a variety of places.

“People should volunteer be- cause it opens their eyes to new experiences and opportunities,” program coordinator for CCAR Caitlin Kelly said. “Volunteering gives you a chance to develop new skills that you might not get in class or in internships. Volunteering allows you to get involved in the community and give back.”

On top of that, Kelly also made sure to mention that volunteering is fun and a fantastic way to meet new people, whether the volunteering is hands on or advocacy based.

“There’s a lot of different ways to get involved. We [CCAR] do a lot of civic engagement, and we get students together to discuss issues,” Kelly said.

I have volunteered at Pace and outside of Pace, and I can vouch for all of Kelly’s points.

Volunteering has provided me with ways to practice working with many different types of people. This is something that I’m sure will help with any career I choose to go into. But, the most important aspect of volunteering is the fact that the community is being helped in some way. I actually regret not partaking in more volunteer opportunities in my few semesters here at Pace.

It feels really nice to spend a Sunday helping others instead of the usual lazy Sunday wallowing in homework and a hangover (not that I ever have hangovers, but I’ve heard this is how many people spend their Sundays).

Volunteering is a lot more productive than spending the en- tire day sleeping. It’s something to look into, and I plan on spending more weekend days working for others next semester instead of napping or planning my next night out.

CCAR has events throughout the semester, many of which occur for part of the day on Saturdays, with transportation provided. Weekday volunteering also is held by CCAR. For example, the Student Learning Center Lunch Buddies program happens during 12 AM- 1 PM on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Pace students who participate in the Lunch Buddy Program sit with Successful Learning Center students during lunch, providing friendship and social interaction.

CCAR also helps individual students and organizations at Pace connect to community partners.

“We help students find commitments. We meet with students and help set up arrangements, such as working with Pets Alive,” Kelly said.

For a completely “immersing experience” in volunteering, students may want to consider taking part in Alternative Spring Break. This year, seven to eight students from the Pace Pleasantville Campus will spend Monday through Thursday of spring break in the Rockaways to assist with Sandy recovery. According to Kelly, there is still much work to be done before the Rockaways are fully recovered from Super- storm Sandy. The trip, free of cost for students, will allow students to work hands-on with recovery alongside students from the Pace New York campus and other activists. Interested students should contact Caitlin Kelly. The selection process and information sessions begin in February.

There are also a few awards to look into if you or someone you know is very involved in volunteering, such as Project Pericles and the Jefferson Award.

Sometimes volunteering can be just as reenergizing as that midday nap. If interested in volunteering or in applying for Alternative Spring Break, contact Caitlin Kelly, Program Coordinator of CCAR Pleasantville. Her email is [email protected]. Also, follow CCARPLV on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and their blog found at ccar.blogs.pace.edu for updates on volunteer opportunities.