Ten Tips For Incoming Freshman

Photo Courtesy of Pace University

Photo Courtesy of Pace University

Elise Adams, Layout Editor

The start of freshman year of college is an exciting time for students as they begin to transition into adulthood and discover their newfound freedom. From new dorm rooms, roommates, professors, clubs, and a whole campus to explore, students are often overwhelmed during their first semester. We have put together ten tips for freshman to help the class of 2020 have a successful year.

1. You have a clean academic slate. Make the most of it.

Nothing from high school is following you to college. Everyone starts with a 4.0 so now is the time to form great study habits and get into a comfortable routine.

1. Become involved on campus.

Whether you go greek or join a club that interests you, it’s important to get involved. You will be given the opportunity to meet peers and professors, build professional relationships, and get hands on experience doing what interests you.

1. Build relationships with your professors.

Your classes will be relatively small and your professors will know your name. This means you aren’t just another student number on the roster when they are grading. Getting to know your professors will only help you out in the long run. They are professionals at what they do and are a great networking tool for internships.

1. Learn to love the food in Kessel.

Whining about the food you’ll be eating three times a day isn’t going to excite you. Try to not always order the same foods or you will most likely be sick of them by October. Also try to avoid Kessel during common hour, it’s a zoo.

1. Take advantage of the tutoring center.

The tutoring center is a great resource that not many students utilize. It is located on the second floor of the library and the tutors are always helpful. Don’t be afraid to walk in if you need help in any class.

1. Don’t overdo the partying.

Of course you love going out with your newfound freedom and independence with no curfew from Mom and Dad, we all do! Just don’t over do it. Really. Know your limit when it comes to drinking, don’t let anyone take advantage of you and definitely don’t go out if you have a morning class the next day. Your professors will know if you are hung over in class.

1. Wear flip flops if you have community bathrooms.

There is all sorts of bacteria and funguses growing in communal bathrooms. The last thing you want is warts on your feet or athletes foot from walking around barefoot, so just be safe and wear shower shoes.

1. Keep track of your money.

Now is the perfect time to create a budget for yourself and learn how to make each dollar stretch. We’re all broke here. Try things like filling up your own water bottle instead of constantly buying them or splitting the cost of a textbook with a classmate.

1. Try not to study or do homework in your bed.

You will fall asleep.

1. Beware of Townhouse parties.

If you are going to a Townhouse party please be smart, be careful, and be aware of your surroundings.

Good luck to the class of 2020 and welcome to Pace University!