Why You Should Befriend an International Student

Nihal Al Qawasmi, Opinion Editor

For most students, college is a place of growth. It’s filled with open-minded conversations, new experiences, and lots and lots of encounters with different people — or at least it should be. At college, you’re not going to school with kids in your hometown anymore and the campus is filled with students from all walks of life. That, in my opinion, is one of college’s biggest blessings. Take advantage of that aspect.

More specifically, I’m talking about international students. I think it’s so important to befriend a student from a foreign country because you both can benefit so much from each other, and it’s a friendship that will literally live around the world. How cool!

Not convinced? Here are some reasons you should become friends with an international student on your campus:

1. You will learn a new language and about a new culture:

Forget the classroom, your foreign friend will teach you more about a language and culture than any other course out there will. They are a living, breathing example of new information that can and will broaden your horizons. Bonus: if they’re struggling with English or don’t understand how something works in your specific society, then you can also become a helping hand for them as well. Win-win.

2. Learn about the world from a different perspective:

Having an international friend means you can have conversations about anything, including about your own country/society, and learn something new. For example, you can learn about how they personally view college experiences in America versus back home. They might even tell you about how the process is in their own native country. This will help you have a more open-minded and curious outlook of the world. Who doesn’t want to be culturally aware?

3. You’ll have a place to add to your list of travel destinations:

Not only will this friend help you spark an interest in a different country, but also they will teach you about it from a local’s point of view. And better yet, they can help you experience it in real time. Just because college ends, doesn’t mean your friendship has to. You’ll always have a friend to visit that’s waiting for you with open arms – excited to show you their home. And you’ll always welcome them in yours.

This piece is dedicated to my friend, Cece Barmoen — my favorite Norwegian. Thank you for being so awesome. They say the friends you make in college will be your friends for life, no matter where you both end up. And I am convinced that’s true.