How to Deal With Repeat Professors

How to Deal With Repeat Professors

Nihal Al Qawasmi, Opinion Editor

Everything in this world has its pros and cons. You know the phrase, “nothing in life is complete.” No matter where you go, there will always be a negative and a positive to a situation. That’s certainly how I feel about small private colleges – because of one particular aspect. Repeat professors.

Don’t get me wrong, I understand it’s all about perspective and you choose to either dwell on the good or the bad in life. That’s exactly why I wrote this piece. Although having repeat professors can sometimes be the best thing in the world, it can also be a straight up pain. But it comes with the price of going to a small college – a decision I’m proud I made.

When you attend a small college, chances are some of your departments will be smaller than usual. Which means less faculty and professors. Sometimes, a professor will teach more than once class that you need to take. Luckily, I’ve enjoyed all of my repeat professors in both departments of my dual major – but other students haven’t been so fortunate. And if you’re the latter, then this one’s for you. Stay strong, peeps.

1. Stop Whining. 

Does it suck that this particular repeat professor’s teaching method drives you crazy? Yes. However, you need to put your biases aside for a second. No one said college would be a walk in the park, but if you learn anything, let it be how to adapt to other people’s methods of doing things. This will help you immensely in the workforce – for example, with your future boss. If you’re a fast learner and can do things the way your boss prefers – no matter how crazy or unfamiliar – he/she will recognize and appreciate that. I’m not saying have no voice and be a follower – but you’re a smart person, so I bet you knew that already. Professors are the same way. They’re technically your superiors, so just follow along as best you can for that semester, and remember, it’s all about perspective.

2. Communicate. 

If the professor, their course, or method of teaching is truly that unbearable, then raise your concerns. You can do this in one of two ways: fill out an honest course evaluation (honest, not mean) or go to their office hours. You have a powerful voice as a student, use it. And 99% of the time, professors want your feedback. Especially if it can encourage more students to take their class. Kindly convey your concerns to your professor and break down what’s wrong with a few suggestions or alternatives. The worst that can happen is your professor doesn’t take your suggestions. Well at that point, congrats, you did absolutely nothing to better the world. (Just kidding.) You did exactly what your part calls for, so don’t sweat it. Just finish strong and seek outside/additional supplements for the class if you need to. Fortunately enough for us at Pace, we are small enough of a community where students never feel like just another number. Chances are, your professor will take your concerns very seriously and address them.

3. Don’t Choose That Professor Next Time. 

If all else fails, use your logic.

Happy learning!