Dealing With Ignorance in Class

Photo via quickmeme.com

Nihal Al Qawasmi, Opinion Editor

The following article is mostly applicable to political science classes because that’s where debates on the most controversial and “hot” topics are encouraged. However, there’s no shortage of ignorant, obnoxious or misogynistic people in this world – and that includes college campuses. So step forward if you dare, but if you’re close-minded, I suggest you read something else.

You know when you find yourself stuck in a comment war or any back and forth conversation online – and you’re filled with this urge and adrenaline to type out your thoughts and opinions, but you literally can’t type any faster? However, all you can think is, “Is this person really serious? I can’t even.” Well, those same scenarios and feelings can occur during class discussions and debates-and some of them are truly jaw dropping.

From professors calling me out in class to ask me my “thoughts on ISIS” to a veteran-student in another class that said, “I’m excited for something to happen in Syria so I can do my job,” and another student claiming women don’t need feminism because “it’s not the 1900’s anymore” – they were all absolutely baffling experiences.

So how does one deal with such outrageous incidents? Do you bite your tongue because these individuals already seem hopeless? Or do you go home and tweet about it instead of answering? Or do you school them and make them second-guess everything they’ve ever said in life?

Well, I’ve done all of the above, and I’ve realized that there is no correct answer. It all varies and depends on the situation. But the most important thing to remember is that it’s all about how confident you are in yourself and in your answer that makes all the difference. Therefore, if you have an opposing view about something but you’re not ready to defend it because you’re not confident about it — it’s best you keep quiet, but get ready for the next time you’re in that situation. If you know your facts and can verbally destroy the obnoxious person – don’t hold back. Do the individual, and the class, a favor and educate them.

I try not to take these incidents too seriously because I understand that for most people – especially students on this campus – this is their first encounter with a Muslim and/or a Palestinian. To shock them even further, I’m the exact opposite of every single stereotype out there. I am strong-minded and educated – and my goal by the time I graduate from Pace is to get everyone used to the fact that Muslim-Palestinian women like myself, exist – and in large numbers. I’m all for healthy debating, and I love learning new things, but just make sure when you approach me that you’re not getting your facts from your small town, one-sided news station.