Rondeau’s Failed Fake Punt Costs Setters in 35-16 Loss to Owls

Head Coach Andy Rondeau speaks with Defensive Backs (courtesy of Pace Setters Facebook page

James Best, Featured Writer

The Pace Setters football team (0-6, 0-5 NE-10) lost 36-15 against the Southern Connecticut State University Owls (3-3) (3-2 NE-10) in front of a sold out crowd of 1,605 fans in Pleasantville.

In a tightly contested game, momentum swung in the Owls favor after a decision by Pace Head Coach Andy Rondeau to run a fake punt from his own 23-yard line failed with three minutes’ left in the third quarter.

With the score 21-16, Punter Niko Fountis faked a punt and threw an interception to Owls RB Vochan Fowler who ran untouched into the end zone to put the Owls up scores.

Rondeau explained his decision to run a trick play in such a critical time in the where his team was within one score of tying up the ball game.

“That’s the way we roll. At that point in time the momentum and the drives had shifted. We were down a couple of defensive players based on injury and we haven’t stopped them in the second half and were at the end of the third quarter and we make a call that we’ve practiced,” Rondeau said.

Pace had already had a number of successful trick plays throughout the season, including the first half when QB Jason Habash and WR Tyler Mason perfectly executed a 73-yard touchdown pass on a flea flicker trick play to put the Setters up 9-7 late in the second quarter.  Mason also converted a fourth down on a fake punt and direct snap for a 33-yard gain.

“We decided that we were going to exhaust our resources in that area, and it didn’t work and there was a chance to but there was a communication issue and it’s my fault,” Rondeau said.

Rondeau wouldn’t specify what the communication issue was but did say that it was important that his team be aggressive at that moment. Rondeau believed that statistically the Setters had a better shot at converting that play than punting the ball away.

“The statistics say that when you punt from your own 23 yard line, with the rate of scoring when you start at the 50 yard line, your odds are extraordinarily low,” Rondeau said. “The momentum was such that I said ‘I have faith in this.’ With a defensive group that’s been out there for a number of extended drives at that point in time, there was no sign of stopping the Owls offense. Our offense had shown signs of productivity and we tried to get them another opportunity there.”

Following the fake punt, the Owls took advantage of the momentum swing and Owls QB Raymond Catapano and RB Vochan Fowler gashed the Setters defense for another long drive. RB Eli Parks ran it in from 18 yards out to put the Owls up 35-16, all but sealing the game.

The loss did have some bright spots as the Setters used a variety of different formations to move the ball on offense including moving Defensive Lineman Ja’Sheem Martin and Linebacker Matthew Corrie to offensive line to block for RB Michael Scottman in the backfield.

Scottman totaled 53 yards on 19 carries and 1 td. Mason took home the Homecoming MVP after totaling 103 yards of offense (73 receiving, 33 rushing).

Defensively, Safety Myles Martin made an impact in the first half, flying around the field and making game changing tackles. Coach Rondeau spoke about Martin’s performance stating that he’s a difference make on the football field and has a certain aggressiveness about him that makes him a great player.

“He can affect the outcome of a game to the positive. He makes us better and he remind me of Jamir (Gee) in the way he is physical, a sure tackler, confident, and edgy,” Rondeau said.

Martin finished the game making seven tackles, 1.5 for losses, and breaking up two passes but in the second half did not play.

After the Owls scored on the interception, Rondeau choose to move Safety Issac Esson to replace Martin and insert Freshman DB Isiah Williams into the game.

Rondeau said that the reason why Martin didn’t continue to play is between him and Martin although sources close to the team state that players were upset with the Rondeau’s decision to call the fake punt leading to the team being down by two scores.

Nevertheless, Coach Rondeau is confident in his players and their ability to fight, battle every week and stay the course on their journey to become successful.

“We want them to compete, battle and fight. I would love for them to taste that success,” Rondeau said. “We have so many area victories. We have to stay the course, have a good week in practice and put a plan in place that is manageable, comprehensible and productive.”