Kessel Eat Fresh!

Joseph Tucci, Managing Editor

Even though I don’t have the same hatred for Kessel food that many of my peers do, I have one simple request for the great workers of Chartwells. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAKE SURE THE FOOD YOU OFFER IS FRESH.

A couple of weeks ago when I was reporting on Pace 4 Kids (P4K), I decided to pick up some sushi from Kessel because it’s always been my go-to option for a quick meal, and I think it genuinely tastes pretty good.

But not this time. On this Saturday of all Saturdays, the sushi for lack of better words tasted like dried up horse s***.

The rice was dry, the salmon was old and nasty, and it was cold to the point where it was frozen. No amount of soy sauce packets could save it. It was the worst sushi I ever had in my life.

It was like I ate nasty-tasting ice cubes. I couldn’t finish it, I could only eat around four of the eight rolls before throwing it out and warning my friends not to buy sushi that day.

I was left still hungry, disappointed, $8.59 poorer and questioning if I would ever eat sushi from Pace again.

Now I know that sushi isn’t even normally offered on the weekends and the sushi box I picked up was left over from the Friday batch, but in that case, you need to make sure that there are people removing the old food that hasn’t been sold from the stations.

This is not the first time I’ve experienced less-than-fresh food from Kessel.

Often times when I get pizza, especially macaroni pizza I would find that the macaroni and cheese would be dry and hard. It wasn’t nearly as bad as the sushi, but still pretty bad.

The base cost of tuition at Pace without financial aid is $39,697, and with room and board, it can reach $58,415 that’s A LOT OF MONEY. The food here is expensive and every time I go to Kessel I end up spending at least $10 just for a meal that will fill me. So I deserve it to be decent quality.

I’m lucky that I have a car and it’s easy for me to leave campus, however a lot of my friends don’t have cars, so I worry about their health.

Selling old food is unacceptable and it can be dangerous if it’s spoiled. So please Chartwells, I don’t hate you, but put some kind of system in place where you regularly check the freshness of what’s available.

It will make both our lives easier and will avoid lawsuits in the future.