Evan MahannaApril 20, 2024

Killers of the Flower Moon Review

Martin Scorsese’s epic showcases the monstrosity, degeneracy, and tragedy of 1920s America
Official theatrical release poster for “Killers of the Flower Moon” (Paramount Pictures/Apple Tv

Martin Scorscese’s new movie “Killers of the Flower Moon” adapted from the 2017 novel of the same name by David Grann, is a tale about a commonly overlooked period in American history. During the 1920s, oil was discovered in the American Midwest on the Osage tribal grounds in Oklahoma. The tribe became the wealthiest people in the country and were more “americanized;” adapting elements of Anglo-Americans into their more traditional lifestyle. Unfortunately, this didn’t last so long as some people consumed by greed wanted more and more. Seeing all the events unfold made me wonder why they were ignored when they initially occurred. From the opening scene, to a very smart ending, the film demonstrates why some events get more recognition than others and what we can do to fix that problem.

The film opens in 1919; Leonardo DiCaprio is a young war veteran named Ernest Burkhart who’s just returned from World War I and moves to Oklahoma on the Osage lands where his uncle William “King” Hale, played by Robert De Niro, resides. Hale is a benefactor; he’s close with all the powerful tribe leaders and cares for them. 

In the meantime, Ernest falls in love with Mollie Kyle, played by Lily Gladstone, a young Osage woman whose family is well-connected with Hale. The lovers eventually marry. However, when oil is found on the Osage grounds, members of the Osage start dying under mysterious circumstances. The FBI is called in to investigate to find out who’s responsible for the killings, and Ernest and Mollie’s marriage is put to the test.

This was a very character-driven movie rather than a plot-focused one. While the killings are at the basis of the story, the movie chooses to instead focus on all the suffering the characters are going through, especially the three characters mentioned before. 

As usual, Leonardo DiCaprio gives everything to his role. He plays a conflicted man trying to support his wife, but also facing hostility by some residents who view the Osage as inferior. Robert De Niro also gives one of his best performances in a while, but the real standout is Lily Gladstone, playing an Osage woman. She brings a lot of emotion to her role as her family, friends, and community are targeted by the murderers. Her character says little, yet speaks volumes. She will definitely be an Oscars Best Actress frontrunner.

The biggest fear audiences have with this movie is the runtime. You thought Oppenheimer was long? This movie’s almost a whole half hour longer, clocking in at 3 hours and 26 minutes (206 minutes in total). I felt it, but definitely didn’t feel like it dragged. There was a clear, well-defined 3 act structure present.

“Killers of the Flower Moon” is without a doubt, an achievement. It’s not going to be for everybody, especially with the demanding length, but thanks to the excellent acting, fantastic direction, and story; it will no doubt be remembered. Hopefully, it will shed light on a dark, forgotten period in our nation’s history.

Score: 89%