Setters advance to NCAA Quarterfinals
Dylan Brown, Managing Editor • May 16, 2024

Pace is one step closer to repeating. The Setters defeated the Bentley University Falcons today, 17-10 to advance. Initially offense-filled,...

On field celebrations begin at Northwell Stadium following Pace WLAXs NE-10 Championship game victory on May 11, 2024 (pacewlax and paceuathletics/IG)
Pace WLAX Win NE-10 Title, Hosts NCAA East Regional
Dylan Brown, Managing Editor • May 14, 2024

The title defense marches on for the Setters. Pace Women's Lacrosse defeated Adelphi University 16-14 last Saturday to win the Northeast-10 Championship....

Challengers (2024) official poster
Challengers Review
Evan MahannaMay 10, 2024

Challengers, directed by Luca Guadagnino, is a new romantic sports drama that brings a fresh approach to both genres. It’s a tale of a toxic...

Huey Lewis’ “The Heart of Rock and Roll” Still Beats on Broadway

Obtained+from+https%3A%2F%2Fheartofrocknrollbway.com%2Fpress%2F++
Matthew Murphy
Obtained from https://heartofrocknrollbway.com/press/

I recently had the incredible opportunity to see the new original musical comedy, The Heart of Rock and Roll. Playing eight times a week at the recently re-dedicated James Earl Jones Theatre, the show features classic songs by Huey Lewis and the News including “Do You Believe In Love”, “Stuck With You”, “Doin’ It All For My Baby”, and arguably the most recognizable “The Power Of Love.” “The Power Of Love” is also featured in the Broadway adaptation of Back to The Future, which is now performing at the Winter Garden.   

With powerful performances by former Newsies star Corey Cott, Wicked alum McKenzie Kurtz, and two-time Grammy Award winner Tamika Lawrence, the show is a must-see for Broadway fans and ‘80s aficionados alike.  

The main character, Bobby Spivak (Cott), works on the assembly line at a cardboard box company run by Cassandra Stone’s (Kurtz) father played by John Dossett, who played Joseph Pulitzer in the original cast of Newsies in 2011. Dossett took a ten-month break from the working world to pursue his rock and roll dream. Bobby’s band is comprised of Broadway fan favorites F. Michael Haynie (Augustus Gloop in Charlie and The Chocolate Factory) and Raymond J. Lee (Ralph in Groundhog Day), as well as Pace alum John-Michael Lyles, who made his Broadway debut in A Strange Loop.  The play Features the incredible comedic timing of Orville Mendoza as IDEA founder, Otto Fjord, and Billy Harrigan Tighe (Pippin, and the national tours of Book of Mormon and Finding Neverland), there is something for everyone in each showstopping, bubble wrap popping, jaw-dropping musical number.  

With big hair, big names, and big fun, nobody does Broadway like Corey Cott! The Heart of Rock and Roll features multiple Newsies alumni and one of the best dancers on this side of the Long Island Sound, Tommy Bracco who was recently featured on CBS’ Big Brother and placed fifth. Wicked fans in attendance will also appreciate Kurtz and Dossett’s reunion. The two just finished a months-long run as Galinda/Glinda and The Wizard. ‘80s lovers will think the jokes are sick and the songs are rad, so put on your Member’s Only jacket and grab your legwarmers because you’ll be in for a treat!  

If you like the music in Back to The Future, skip the theatrical try-hard ‘80s tribute at The Winter Garden and head straight for the real thing at The Heart of Rock and Roll. You’ll be glad you did. Just don’t bring your beeper. And hey, if you’re worried about what your friends might think, don’t. aAcording to a recent study, 67% of Gen Z and Millennials are “Broadway curious”. If you’re curious about Broadway, you’ll “finally find a home” at the James Earl Jones. I know I did. 

View Comments (1)

• B

Beth FeldmanMay 7, 2024 at 3:16 pm

Cant wait to see it.

Reply