Pace Volunteers at the Teatown Lake Reservation

Students volunteering at the Teatown Lake Reservation. (Photo by Joseph Tucci)

Joseph Tucci, Managing Editor

Pace’s Center for Community Action and Research (CCAR) and the Dyson College Institute for Sustainability and the Environment gathered students to volunteer at the Teatown Lake Reservation on Friday morning.

The volunteers were assigned to perform maintenance on the reservation’s bird enclosures. The enclosures house several species of injured birds that Teatown uses for educational programs including Bald Eagles, Turkey Vultures, Black Vultures, Barred Owls, American Crows, and Red Tailed Hawks.

“These are birds that are permanently injured and cannot be released into the wild. They are our educational ambassadors, they help us teach school groups as well as public programs,” Teatown’s Volunteer Coordinator Elisa Schilmeister said.

The volunteers increased the lifespan of Teatown’s bird enclosures by staining the wood they are made out of with a protective coating that gives them water resistance. According to Schilmeister the enclosures act as a natural barrier for the birds, giving them protection against sound and giving them the sense they are in the forest.

Volunteers also replaced the gravel of the enclosures, since the old gravel was dirtied with feces.

This volunteer project was part of CCAR’s conservation effort with Dyson. Teatown is one of CCAR’s community partners who they work with to find volunteer projects.

“We contact Pace about different volunteer opportunities, we are also contacted by Pace groups if they are looking for an opportunity so it goes both ways,” Schilmeister said.

Some of the sisters of Sigma Lambda Upsilon (SLU) participated in the effort since one of the goals for their sorority is community service.

“We try to do as much [community service] as possible, specifically just because it’s the end of our week we always try to end it in a community service,” Community Service Chair of SLU Alexa Diaz said.

The sisters appreciated the relaxed nature of the event –comparing the staining of the enclosures to painting-, and that CCAR made the event convenient to get too.

“I enjoy community service a lot, I try to come out whenever I can,” President of SLU Kristina Franco said. “We do just whatever comes up and what’s more convenient for us, this had transportation and I love being outside, I love being outdoors.”

CCAR gained attention for this project through sending out a press release and by tabling in Kessel Well. Program Coordinator for CCAR Tyler Kalahar was pleased with the turnout.

“We’re always happy no matter how many volunteers show up,” Kalahar said.

Pace plans to return to Teatown in October for Pace Makes a Difference Day.