Challengers (2024) official poster
Challengers Review
Evan MahannaMay 10, 2024

Challengers, directed by Luca Guadagnino, is a new romantic sports drama that brings a fresh approach to both genres. It’s a tale of a toxic...

Official Poster for Pace Docs 2024 documentary, The Cooper: Crafting The Soul of The Cask
Graphic design by Lilah McCormack
PaceDocs Premieres "The Cooper: Crafting the Soul of the Cask"
Evan MahannaMay 7, 2024

Pace University's Producing the Documentary course students traveled to Spain to film a new documentary this year. As part of the annual PaceDocs...

Photo Courtesy of Pace Athletics(Paceatheltics/IG)
Pace MLAX To Play in NCAA Tournament
Dylan Brown, Managing Editor • May 6, 2024

For the first time in 7 years, Pace University Men's Lacrosse is in the NCAA Tournament. The Setters learned of their fate last evening via live...

New Coach, New Moves, New Year

New Coach, New Moves, New Year

Her fleet feet and chorographical technician have carried her from Radford University, to the pros, and now to Pace.

The Setters dance team recently hired Ana De Villegas to be their new coach. The eleven students on the dance team will be led by the same choreographer who directs the Gotham City Cheerleaders.

Coach De Villegas has been involved with the professional dance circuit both on the field and behind the scenes. De Villegas was a cheerleader for the Washington Redskins during the 2009 season and performed at the Pro Bowl that same year. She has also cut rugs in New York as the Group Services Director at Broadway Dance Center.

As it turns out, De Villegas was only one degree of Kevin Bacon away from Pace before getting the job. Senior communications major Sarah Friedson also performed with the Gotham City Cheerleaders and she first informed De Villegas about the job opening over the summer.

“When the season started getting underway and the dance team girls told me they still didn’t have a coach, I asked them if they wanted me to try and find someone for them,” Friedson said. “I asked Ana if she knew anyone who might be interested in coaching at Pace, and she said ‘Yes, me.’”

During their time performing for Giants and the rest of New York, Friedson and De Villegas have formed a unique chemistry based on respect and, of course, dancing.

“Ana’s strong passion for dance has been so motivating and inspiring,” Friedson said. “I know the girls on the Pace dance team are going to feel the same way.”

Friedson also said that Coach De Villegas will bring a new street jazz choreography that the team has not seen before. Jazz dancing will enable the team to showcase newfound improvisational skills honed by a seasoned pro dancer.

The choice of De Villegas has been well received by her new team. Sophomore marketing major Toni-Ann Derby has high praise for the long time choreographer.

“Hiring Ana De Villegas was a great choice,” Derby said. “Her choreography is original and fun, and everyone on our team has stepped up to a new level, giving 110 percent at every practice; I am telling you, this is a whole new team.”

The dance team will debut on Nov. 14 when the Setters basketball teams make their home debuts. When game day comes, you will see that coach De Villegas’ footprints will be all over the team’s new moves.