Challengers (2024) official poster
Challengers Review
Evan MahannaMay 10, 2024

Challengers, directed by Luca Guadagnino, is a new romantic sports drama that brings a fresh approach to both genres. It’s a tale of a toxic...

Official Poster for Pace Docs 2024 documentary, The Cooper: Crafting The Soul of The Cask
Graphic design by Lilah McCormack
PaceDocs Premieres "The Cooper: Crafting the Soul of the Cask"
Evan MahannaMay 7, 2024

Pace University's Producing the Documentary course students traveled to Spain to film a new documentary this year. As part of the annual PaceDocs...

Photo Courtesy of Pace Athletics(Paceatheltics/IG)
Pace MLAX To Play in NCAA Tournament
Dylan Brown, Managing Editor • May 6, 2024

For the first time in 7 years, Pace University Men's Lacrosse is in the NCAA Tournament. The Setters learned of their fate last evening via live...

Setters Beat Chowan Twice

Setters Beat Chowan Twice

With spring just around the corner, the softball team began their campaign with their first winning streak of the year.

The Setters defeated the Hawks of Chowan University 3-0 in the opening game of their season. Pace’s balanced performance in hostile territory bodes well for their season outlook.

While offense appeared rarer than a Bigfoot sighting at times, the Setters were able to rack up enough runs in the game. Junior business major Lana Buchbinder smacked a two-run double to left center field scoring freshman business major Marissa Cerniglia and freshman communication arts major Katie Lange in the top of inning number four.

Pace was able to maintain their offensive momentum the very next inning. In the top of inning number five, it was Lange who notched an RBI single that scored sophomore business management major Hana Wright for the Setters’ third and final run of the day.

Pace won the battle on the mound in a big way. Senior psychology major Chelsea Shea gave up just three hits while pitching a complete game shutout. She relinquished only one walk in the bottom of inning number one and struck out five Hawks on the day.

Although the Setters out-hit the Hawks 8-3 in game one, Pace left seven players on base compared to just five from Chowan in the first game. Yet in the second game of the double header, Pace was able to correct that disparity and still win the game.

The Setters took the second game of the day in the afternoon double-header against the Hawks by a final score of 4-3. Although it is very early in the season, coach Claudia Stabile is sure to be happy about the early winning streak.

Once again, it was pitching that set the tone for the Setters against Chowan and this time it was senior biology major Kelly Fisher who scorched plenty of pitches around the Hawks. Fisher pitched six and two thirds innings of strong softball as she struck out seven Hawks on the afternoon.

Although Fisher did allow five hits, three runs, and four walks, the back end of the bullpen stomped out the Hawks late rally. Sophomore communications major Caitlin McCann came into the game with two outs and a Hawk circling first base. McCann walked one batter and then squashed the Chowan rally by striking out the last batter of the game to secure the win for Pace.

The offense maintained a similar balance for the Setters as they scored in three of seven innings in the nightcap. Pace struck for two runs in the second inning after junior psychology major Samantha Garcia belted a two-run single down the left field line that scored both Lange and freshman physical therapy major Erin Wood.

After Pace relinquished a run in the bottom of the second inning, the visiting team struck for two more runs in innings four and five. It was a batted ball by junior biology major Kimberly Duffy that began a rundown, which resulted in Lange scoring a run: Duffy was credited with the RBI.

Pace’s final run of the day in inning number five was more conventional. Junior journalism major Rachel McMahon doubled in sophomore business management major Jeane Drury to give Pace the last run they would need.

With both wins, Pace improves to 2-0 overall. The Setters will travel to Virginia to play Bowie State on Mar. 8.