Evan Mahanna April 20, 2024

Nicholas Diaz and Paris Tracey April 19, 2024

Outfielder Layla Michelson high-fives catcher Carolina Iturriga during a home game(paceathletics/IG)
Softball Goes through New York City Area Colleges Spotless

NEW YORK- Pace Softball had a mini tour through New York City starting at Staten Island and ending in Queens, resulting in three more victories. On...

Setters Lose to Saint Anselm Hawks In Final Home Game

On the day that Pace recognized its football seniors for their career as Setters, the Saint Anselm Hawks came out with their first victory of the year as they beat the Setters 63-33.

Saint Anselm improved its record to 1-9 while the Setters fell to 0-10.

The Hawks scored the first touchdown of the game as freshman quarterback Yianni Gavalas, from Manhasset, New York, completed an eight yard pass to wide receiver Ahkeen Williams, a junior from DeWitt, New York, to give Saint Anselm a 7-0 lead.

The Setters were able to tie up the game quickly, as quarterback Antwan Washington made a three-yard rush play for a touchdown.

The game remained tied till the final minutes of the first half, as Gavalas made a 32 yard pass to junior wide receiver Brandon Gomes, from Providence, Rhode Island, to give the Hawks a 14-7 lead.

Another touchdown in the second half of the game gave the Hawks a 21-7 lead, but the Setters once again cut the lead with Washigton making a one yard rush play to make it 21-14.

With the score at 28-14, Washigton made a 23 yard pass to senior wide receiver Matt Tarpley, from Plymouth, Minnesota, making it 28-21.

With another touchdown from Saint Anselm, the Setters ended the first half trailing 35-21.

The second half of the game was when the Hawks really took off, scoring three touchdowns in the third quarter and one more in the fourth.

Pace ended its scoring in the fourth, with Washington completing a six yard pass to Tarpley, making it 55-33.

For the Setters, Washington ended the day completing 21-of-34 passes for 397 yards, which is a career high, as well as three touchdowns. Tarpley also ended with a season-high in yards with 112, while scoring two touchdowns.

The last game of the season for the Setters will be Sat., Nov. 16 at Long Island University Post for the Northeast-10 Championship Weekend.