Opening Series For Softball Ends In Split

Natalia Alvarez Pagan, Sports Editor

Despite the cold weather and snow lying on the ground, the first pitch of the 2014 softball season was thrown on Sun. afternoon, March 2, as the Setters opened up their season on the road against Wilmington University.

Pace (1-1) ended up splitting the doubleheader, with the Setters taking the opener by a score of 4-2. Wilmington (1-1) won the second game 5-4.

The Setters started scoring early on in the game, as freshman catcher/third baseman Nikole Larm hit a solo homerun to left field in her first collegiate at-bat.

Sophomore Miranda Pedersen tied the game up for Wilmington in the bottom of the third, tying up the game 1-1.

The game remained tied until the sixth inning, when Pace broke away by scoring two runs with four hits. Catcher Hanna Wright’s single to right center allowed freshman outfielder Shelby Yung to score from third. With the bases loaded after two singles from Larm and freshman Alicia Marino, with senior Kimberly Duffy at third pinch running for Wright, the Setters got in another run as senior Rachel McMahon received the walk.

An unearned run scored by Yung on a passed ball finished the scoring for the Setters in the top of the seventh. Wilmington tried to rally in the bottom of the seventh, as they loaded the bases with just one out, but Pace was able to escape the jam by only allowing one run to end the game.

Junior Caitlin McCann pitched a complete game for Pace, earning the win after allowing five hits, two runs (one earned), three walks, three strikeouts and one home run.

Wilmington scored first in the second half of the doubleheader, scoring two runs in the bottom of the first. The Setters responded in the top of the second though, scoring two runs of their own thanks to a couple of errors from Wilmington.

Pace took the lead in the top of the third, scoring two more runs to put the Setters ahead 4-2. Larm and junior Natalie Gellos performed a double steal, with Larm scoring the go-ahead run. Duffy’s single to right field scored Gellos for the fourth run.

The Wildcats responded with a run of their own to cut the lead to 4-3 in the bottom of the third. Two errors by Pace in the bottom of the fourth allowed the Wildcats to take the lead.

Both teams remained hitless after the fourth, with Pace having just one base runner in the bottom of the fifth.

Pace is off until their West Coast trip beginning Sat., March 15 as they head out to California to take on Cal State Chico. The first home game for the Setters is scheduled for Sat., March 22, with first pitch at 12:00 p.m.

Head over to pacesettersathletics.com for the Setter’s complete spring schedule.