Softball Splits Double Header; Franklin Pierce Sweeps

Natalia Alvarez Pagan, Sports Editor

Pace ball took the field Sunday afternoon, March 23rd as the softball team took on St. Michael’s University, while the baseball team faced off against Franklin Pierce.

Both teams competed in doubleheaders, with softball taking the second game, beating the Purple Knights 10-0 in five innings after losing an 11-9 contest in the first game. Baseball on the other lost both its games, as Franklin Pierce won the first game 8-3, followed by a 10-1 win in the nightcap.

After a tough loss in the first game of the doubleheader, the Setters came back knowing that they couldn’t afford to lose both games.

“The first game was a tough loss, but warming up for the second game we had a new intensity and there was no stopping us” said junior second baseman Lana Buchbinder, who hit a couple of homers in the first half of the doubleheader. “We went out onto the field with confidence and let everything fall into place. For us it isn’t about getting that big hit or play but instead about being consistent every time you come to the plate and making sure to do your job on the field.”

Freshman Nikole Larm shared Buchbinder’s disappointment after losing the first game, but that only motivated the team to work even harder to get a win the second time around.

“We started strong and we were determined to finish strong” said Larm, who had a total of 6 RBIs for both games.

Two blow-out losses pushed back Setters baseball as they saw their record fall to 3-9, while softball stands at 3-11.

Senior Ian Wukitsch described the losses as a “tough weekend” but expresses some optimism looking ahead.

“We cannot dwell on this weekend and the negatives, we have to move forward towards the rest of our season and continue to work hard” Wukitsch said.

Next game for the softball team is scheduled for Thursday, March 27th as they take on Adelphi for a 3:30 matchup at home.

Baseball will hit the road to face New Haven on Wednesday, March 26th before heading back home to face off against Mercy College on Thursday, with first pitch scheduled for 3:00pm.