Senior Setters Spotlight: Swimmer Kaitlyn Lynch

Natalia Alvarez Pagan, Sports Editor

Domestic terrorism is not a common fear for most, but for swimmer Kaitlyn Lynch it’s a growing concern.

Lynch majored in psychology and minored in criminal justice during her undergraduate years, but an introductory course in homeland security her senior year ignited a spark that led her down a different road.

“I kind of did a big flip-flop my senior year but my advisor let me know it wasn’t too late,” said Lynch, who believes that domestic terrorism doesn’t receive enough attention as international terrorism does.

Experience as an intern with the Bronx County Supreme Court, among others, has helped Lynch prepare for her future goals. But for now she just wants to get her foot in the door.

“I don’t really have any career goals at this point in time other than just getting a job to start my career,” said Lynch, whose guilty pleasure happens to be watching crime shows such as Law and Order. “I went to both Career Fairs and I feel pretty confident after talking with the U.S. Marshalls and others. I’ve been able to get a lot of hands-on experience that has really helped me confirm that this is what I want to do.”

Although it might not seem like it, Lynch actually spent most of her academic career being homeschooled. While at times it was challenging for her, especially early adolescence, if she had to do it all over again Lynch would not have changed a thing.

“[Being homeschooled] really helped me prepare for college,” Lynch said. “From a young age I had to learn how to handle a college course load while also balancing other activities. Without it I don’t know how I would be able to handle the work load at Pace.”

The swim team in Lynch’s hometown of Vallejo, California, provided her with a social outlet that allowed her to hear about the everyday struggles of high school students. One would never assume that swimming didn’t initially come easily to Lynch. It was not the sport that challenged her, rather, it was her fear of drowning.

“It’s kind of funny because now I love going into the deep end and just laying down there at the bottom of the pool,” Lynch said. “My coach now always has to tell me to get out so I don’t scare the lifeguards because they might think I’m dead.”

Overcoming her fears turned out to be one of Lynch’s greatest achievements, as her success as a college athlete has flourished. Recently she was named NE-10 Female Swimmer of the Year, while also acquiring the NE-10 Winter Scholar-Athlete Sport of Excellence Award. Lynch broke a NE-10 Championships record in February when she finished the 50-yard freestyle event with at 24.17, which helped lead her to three gold medal wins.

However, her success didn’t come easy, as Lynch acknowledges feeling unmotivated during the beginning of the season.

“It was hard, I really didn’t expect much out of this season because I was just getting so frustrated with myself,” said Lynch, who was also named to the NE-10 All-Academic Team for the third time in her career. “I wasn’t getting the times that I wanted so I would have like, these breakdowns in front of my coach. I felt like I wasn’t getting anywhere. But after our training trip in January I just felt so much better. I felt like I was doing well and I really got pumped up. I ended up performing a lot better than I could have ever imagined.”

All of Lynch’s successes meet her at the end of her last lap while she makes a final departure from Pace.

“It’s a bitter-sweet ending because swimming has always been my escape,” Lynch said. “It’s what’s helped me get through these four years. My teammates have been incredible, they’ve been like a family to me and they’ve really made me feel so comfortable here, especially because I am not from this area. But I know that I will always be involved with swimming one way or another.”

All of Lynch’s experiences have helped prepare her for the next chapter, as she will soon embark on a quest to help her country become a safer place to live, both under the water and inside of her country’s borders.