Pace Alum Supports Students From The Other Side Of The Desk

Photos courtesy of Dennis Carpenter

Alum Dennis Carpenter supports his alma mater from the outskirts of the fi eld.

Cecilia Levine, Managing Editor

Wooden plaques recognizing Pace’s Hall of Fame inductees line the corridor that separates the athletic offices from the aerobics room of the Goldstein Fitness Center. In the bottom, right-hand corner of the wall closest to the meeting room is a familiar face, one that can also be seen at the front desk on Friday afternoons and unlocking the building some early Monday mornings. Dennis Carpenter, 2012 All American Club Football inductee of Pace’s 11th induction class, has reconnected with his Alma Mater.

“I am very fortunate to be here,” said Carpenter, who served as a quarterback on Pace’s football team from 1969-1974. “It impresses me that Pace continued its beauty and commitment.”

Though Carpenter was a student-athlete for four years, he finished his studies at Pace in a year and a half following his career on the team, when he graduated with a degree in elementary education in 1975. Since his departure, Carpenter noticed many changes at the University. Aside from the obvious renovation and vast increase in the student body, he noted one difference in event location. Though Pace now utilizes its football field for a variety of athletic events, Carpenter and the football team once held their practices on the Miller lawn.

Despite the changes on campus, Carpenter still feels deeply connected to his roots at Pace.

“It’s pleasant to be in an atmosphere with students and professionals at this point in my life,” said Carpenter, who was awarded Most Valuable Player in his freshman year and was also named to the National Club Football All-American Squad his junior year. “I love working here because I am so close to the athletes, I feel like I am part of the team.”

Through his work in the Goldstein Fitness Center, Carpenter has been able to establish a relationship with many of the current Pace athletes, who he says treat him with the upmost respect.

“I am very impressed by the quality of the character of the athletes,” said Carpenter, who since his 2006 retirement as a school teacher worked many jobs, from driving a limousine to working for a moving company. “They are all respectful to their elders and pleasant to be around. They all work hard and take their sports seriously.”

While athletes continue to pursue individual goals, Carpenter has hopes and aspirations of his own for Pace’s future.

“Pace is starving for a good football season and I am hoping that it continues to grow another 50 years,” said Carpenter, who started working for the University in the fall of 2012. “If I could squeeze in another 20 years, that’d be cool, too.”