Spirit Squad Looks to Take Next Step

Natalia Alvarez Pagan, Sports Editor

Pace Athletics has seen various changes in the past year, from an entirely new coaching staff to fields that will begin construction over the summer. Keeping pace with the times, the Spirit Squad – Pace’s combined cheer and dance teams- will make the next move next year with the help of cheerleading coach, Christine Farina, who was hired in April.

Farina, a seasoned veteran who has served as Hofstra University’s Head Cheerleading Coach for the past 11 years, marks a new era in Pace cheerleading as she hopes to prepare the squad for competition.

Tryouts for the squad were held Sunday night at the Goldstein Fitness Center. Farina acknowledged that the team has its ways to go in order to be ready to compete, but does express some optimism.

“It’s certainly going to be a challenge because they are not quite at the level they need to be just yet” said Farina, who has led her Hofstra teams to the UCA Small Coed National Cheerleading Championships seven of eight years from 2006-13. “It’s going to take a lot of work. They need to be focused and they need to be able to master repetition of skills. But I have high expectations, I won’t settle for mediocre.”

While a lot of work needs to be done, Farina acknowledges that there isn’t much that can be done as of yet. The bare minimum for competition is a membership of 20 or more, however, Pace’s squad is still less than that.

Insufficient membership makes it hard for Farina to be selective with the members, but that doesn’t mean that she won’t bring in the very best that meet her requirements.

Perhaps the most important element for Farina is to have “well-rounded” cheerleaders who can do it all- tumbling, gymnastics, and stunting being the most important. Farina also looks for those with a strong mentality that will work hard and compete at a high level.

“[Farina] knows exactly how to push the team to the best of our abilities,” said Spirit Squad member and accounting major Vanessa McWilliams, who feels that her coach seems to be what the team needs in order to succeed.

March 2015 is when competitions are scheduled to start, and a strong mentality is necessary for what’s to come for the pre-season. Farina places emphasis on choreography along with one other particular that must be improved upon.

“They really need to build up that stamina and get accustomed to that because of all that is needed for a competitive routine,” Farina said.

Despite the major adjustments that need to be made in order to compete at the next level, it comes at the right time, as Pace has begun its transformation with the Master Plan and all that it brings. Farina acknowledged the campus growth as a great opportunity for her team to expand and improve as well.

The changes to the campus and the impact it has on the future are what prompted this next step in the first place, as noted by Assistant Athletic Director for External Operations Zach Dayton.

“With all that’s going on I think now is a great time to really try and enhance the game day atmosphere, and the cheer and dance teams are a huge part of that” Dayton said. “I think in our area, cheerleading is very popular so I think it’s a good time to really try and take a new direction.”

Baby steps are being taken, as the team will compete at the regional level at first in order to “get their feet wet.” From there the team will be able to experience what it’s like to travel together and to compete.

With a new chapter unfolding for Pace Athletics, the cheerleading team looks to enhance the game day atmosphere and bring in more school spirit, one cheer at a time.