It Might Be David vs. Goliath:

An in-depth look at the Pace-Rhode Island Matchup

NATALIA ALVAREZ PAGAN, Sports Editor

It’s not every day that two different college programs cross paths, but on Fri., Nov. 14, Pace will go head-to-head with the University of Rhode Island for a 7 p.m. game in Kingston, Rhode Island.

Talking with Thomas Porter, Sports Director at 90.3 WRIU radio station in Kingston, Rhode Island, the Pace Chronicle got a more in-depth look at the Setters opponents.

While both teams might be on two different levels, there seems to be some similarities. Porter mentions that behind head coach Dan Hurley, who is in his third year of service with the Rams, the program has been built up to hopefully be one of the best.

“Our school has been at a point where we make the NCAA Tournaments about once every 10 years,” Porter said. “But our head coach has done a tremendous job with the program since he got here. He’s really been able to bring in some recruits that have star potential.”

Sophomores E.C. Matthews (guard) and Hassan Martin (forward) were two of the notable names Porter talked about.

Porter mentions that Mathews is a possible game changer, a dynamic player whose presence has seemed to bring in other recruits. Martin was mentioned as a player with star potential who can be a menace on the court.

The similarities between Rhode Island and Pace come in with age and expectations. Both teams are comprised of young talent, and both teams are looking to make a run at the playoffs.

“I’d say this team is expected to at least win 19 games, maybe cross over that 20 game threshold,” Porter said. “The real feeling is that this is when the team really turns it around and makes a return to those good old days when this school was a respected basketball school.”

Pace boasts another young team that looks to gain experience as the season rolls on, but expectations are still high, with head coach Pat Kennedy believing that his team can make the playoffs.

With Pace being picked to finish fifth in the Southwest Division preseason poll, and talented transfers such as Khalil Brown (Monmouth University), Kyle Pearson (Fairleigh Dickinson University) and Shelton Mickell (Central Connecticut University), it certainly seems doable.

All three transfers come to Pace from Division I schools, providing the other team members with some valuable knowledge on what it’s like to play on the Division I level.

Mickell comes in as a junior guard having scored 40 points with 12 assists and nine steals his freshman year with the Blue Devils. Brown projects to anchor the Setters on the inside as a starting center having shot 46 percent from the field his junior year.

Pearson looks to play to his strengths in order to find his place with the team coming to the Setters averaging 3.4 points per games and shooting 55 percent from the field.

While it might seem like an un-even match-up, Pace comes in confident as they look to use this game as an opportunity to get a better feel of themselves as a team.

“It’s a real honor to be able to play a regular season game against Rhode Island,” said Kennedy, whose team will also play in the STAC Tournament the two days after the Rhode Island game. “But it’s also an Alaskan-shootout so to speak, with the three games in three days. It gives us a great opportunity to learn about our depth.”

With several players having transferred from Division I schools, or in the case of some of the freshman, having been recruited by Division I schools, Kennedy notes that the team is excited for the opportunity and look to show everyone what they can do.