Baseball Looks To Get Back On Field

Natalia Alvarez Pagan, Sports Editor

Snow and freezing weather have proved to be a challenge for the Pace baseball team (0-4) these last couple of months during pre-season, as the team had been unable to step on an actual baseball field prior to the four game series against Florida Tech (9-0) on Fri., Feb. 13.

This was seen as a factor, but not an excuse, towards the end result—a Florida Tech sweep, causing the Setters to stumble towards a 0-4 start.

Never satisfied with a loss, the Setters still looked on the bright side of things, as senior short stop Brett Bittiger put it, stating that were quite a few things that the team took away from the series.

“We are happy to have been able to get outside in some good weather and compete against a strong opponent,” said Bittiger, who had two hits and an RBI in the series. “We came away from the weekend series with a list of things that we can work on to get better as a team, which is essential–there is always room for adjustments and improvements, especially this early in the season.”

Pitcher Dylan Mouzakes believes that “list of things” should help the Setters with their next series against Bentley. Mouzakes noted that the “position players were focused on having better approaches at the plate” while also getting more repetition on the field. The pitchers on the other hand are looking to hit their spots and attack the strike zone.

Mouzakes believes that the more work the team gets the done on an actual field then the better prepared they will be for their next opponents.

The series opener was a close contest with Florida Tech taking the game 2-1. Pitchers on both sides were solid throughout the game, with Florida Tech’s Ashton Fronsoe (2-0) allowing just 3 hits and striking out a career high 10 over nine innings.

Saturday’s doubleheader saw a lot of slugging as Florida Tech continue their winning streak as they took game one 9-0 and game two 20-1.

Florida scored early in game one with three runs in the first and four in the fourth, with pitcher Scott Ward keeping the Setters to just six hits.

Freshman Michael Gulino, along with Bittiger however, provided some bright spots, as Gulino went 2-for-3, while Bittiger went 2-for-2 with a double.

The Setters scored first in the night-cap but were unable to do much else afterward with the Panther’s Grant Willcox on limiting the Setters to five hits.

Finally, the series finale on Sunday saw the Panthers win 14-1.

One might think that morale would be affected with a four game sweep, but the Setters haven’t let it hold them back, Mouzakes noting that baseball “is a mental game.”

For now the focus will be put on the next series against Bentley, a three game series starting on Fri., Feb. 27 at 2:30 p.m. The games will be played at Silver Lake Park in Harrison, NY.