2015-16 Pace Setters Swimming and Diving Season Preview

2015-2016+Pace+Men%E2%80%99s+and+Women%E2%80%99s+Swimming+and+Diving+team.+

Photo from Pace Swimming/Diving Twitter.

2015-2016 Pace Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving team.

JAMES BEST, Featured Writer

Swimming and diving is a pastime of hot summer days, but for the 2015 Pace Swimming and diving team, it is a passion.

Head Coach Dan Allen enters his second season and is excited for this year’s team. Last year the men’s team went 1-10 overall while the women’s went 5-5 overall.

He saw last year as a year of transition.

“A lot of it was transitioning from the previous coach to myself and just kind of a new change and new regime,” Allen said. “A lot of times with change, it’s met with a little bit of resistance, but for me how we swam and how we did academically; I was very pleased.”

Allen’s expectations for this year’s squad are very high and it’s because of the new additions and youth on the team. The team has acquired 11 international swimmers who are respective champions in their countries. He addressed that the team was lacking in that department the year prior.

“I have about 17-18 new freshman and about 11 international swimmers,” Allen said. “My new freshmen make up more than half my team. So I almost have a completely different team than last year.”

Youth is always a good thing, but it is the idea of experience that comes in question.

“It’s a completely different team dynamic and so far we’re practicing great,” Allen said. “The energy level is great in practice, our team is coming together, they’re forging great bonds with one another where as last year at this time that wasn’t really the case. I just see the team chemistry this year is so much better.”

Allen is not the only one who seems to enjoy all the new additions and the talent that is brought to the team.

“We have a lot of new swimmers from around the world with fast times,” sophomore Jakub Lewandowski said. “I think the mix of new and old talent will make some big things happen this year. I’m expecting this season to be one of the best, if not the best in school history.”

Allen pointed out some swimmers to watch on the men’s side this year. Freshmen Nianzhong Liu from Greece and Alexander Dimcevski from Sweden are two talented swimmers that will be held to high regards despite being freshmen.

“Those are two in terms of versatility and the level of where they can be,” Allen said. “I can see them being conference champions in their events. With the times that they are coming in can really in a sense challenge for a conference championships.”

Liu is an individual medley, or IM swimmer, which is someone who can perform a wide array of strokes at a high level. Liu is very positive about his future for the Pace Swimming and Diving team this year.

“I will be swimming the 200,100 freestyle and 100 breaststroke [this year]” Liu said “I hope to be the best I can be, break records and encourage others around me to do their best.”

Allen also feels sophomore Brian Sosa can pick up on a successful season last year. However, he is changing his events.

“He holds our school record in the 500 freestyle, but our team is also deep in the 500 freestyle so he’s changing his 500 freestyle event to swim the 400 IM,” Allen said. “He’s a true team player to do that for us. I have nothing but respect for Brian for doing that.”

On the women’s team, Allen believes freshman Cassandra Muldoon is also capable of breaking team and conference records.

“[Muldoon] could win the conference meet with her 100 and 200 breaststroke times, that is how talented she is,” Allen said. “I think [Muldoon] has potential to be a NCAA qualifier. Without a question she’s one of our most talented freshman.”

Allen also spoke about freshman divers Alexis Heiney and Andrea Cattani, who Allen feels can “push towards the top in our conference for diving.”

Allen says he’s going to rely on his two captains, junior Paula Castelblanco and senior Caitlyn Siriano, to lead the way. They are two of four upperclassmen on the women’s team.

“Siriano is probably one of the hardest workers on our team,” Allen said. “Both [Castelblanco] and [Siriano] set the right examples in terms of in the water and out of the water, of what I look for and their right now in terms of leadership, I have high praises for them.”

The team has also added coaching depth with Assistant Coach Brendan Heller and Diving Coach Jennifer Palladino.
The Pace men’s open’s the season against Purchase College on Sat., Oct. 31. Women’s will have a dual meet against Purchase and Assumption College in Goldstein Fitness Center.