Pace Basketball Teams Return to NYC

Home+court+of+the+Pace+NYC+campus.+Photo+from+Pace+Athletics%E2%80%99+%28%40paceuathletics%29+Twitter.+

Home court of the Pace NYC campus. Photo from Pace Athletics’ (@paceuathletics) Twitter.

JAMES MIRANDA, Sports Editor

The Pace Setters returned to the city campus last Wed., Feb. 3 for the first time since the 2010-11 season in efforts to connect the two campuses.

“Our student-athletes, coaches and staff had a great experience at the Civic Center Gym for volleyball and basketball,” said Drew Brown, Associate Athletic Director. “It was great to be able to share that with so many students, faculty and staff from the New York City campus and we are all grateful for their support of the Pace Athletics programs.”

There is no set schedule, but Pace athletics plans to incorporate one or two games at the city campus per season.

The Setters departed from the NYC campus during the 2010-11 season because the facilities did not meet up to National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) standards for competition.

“We have been able to make some upgrades recently to the facility in order to meet NCAA standards,” Brown said. “Pace University has many students at the New York City campus and we hope to connect athletics with the entire community.”

The recent return to NYC is not in response to a problem in attendance, according to Brown.

As of February 8, the men’s and women’s basketball teams’ average attendance is 269 and 264, respectively. The two games in the city had a combined 716 students in attendance (411 men’s and 305 women’s).

The men’s team defeated Adelphi University 82-74 and the women’s lost 59-48 last Wednesday night.

The men’s team called the Civic Center Gym home while the women’s initially played in the then Willcox Gym. They were relocated to Goldstein Fitness Center in 2002.

Both basketball teams will host American International College this Saturday in Goldstein.