Setters Profile: Samantha Marquez

Setters Profile: Samantha Marquez

Sean Browne, Editor in Chief

Pace University women’s volleyball outside hitter, Samantha Marquez, has faced adversity and difficulty, but in her mind it has made her a much better captain and volleyball player.

Originally from West Palm Beach, Florida, Marquez had aspirations about being a Setter since her junior year of high school, and was frequently in communication with Head Coach, Karrin Moore. Marquez was sure she would be playing for Pace once she graduated.

Unfortunately Marquez was struck with an injury and could not play for Pace upon graduating high school.

She had to settle for junior college volleyball and spent a year playing at Palm Beach State College.

This setback did not become a permanent roadblock for Marquez. Through hard work, she was able to come back and transfer to Pace University and play for the Setters. Not to mention the help she received through Coach Moore.

“I kept talking to Coach Moore,” Marquez said, “I knew I wanted to play for Pace, so it was kind of like a perfect situation.”

Once she transferred to Pace in 2014, Marquez felt like an outsider. Not knowing the area very well Marquez felt lost.

Luckily for Marques, her sister, a softball player at Villanova, was able to motivate her.

“Coming to Pace I did not know anybody and was definitely out of my comfort zone,” Marquez said, “But with time [the experience] really built my character.”

Marquez’s time on the team has brought her close to her teammates.

“I really know this group of girls,” said Marquez, “We grew as a team, I know all their strengths and weaknesses.  It was good going through everything with them from the beginning to the end.”

Marquez’s close relationship with her players has propelled her to be named as one of the captains for this season. She believes she is up for the task.

“Being a team leader helps me a lot when it comes to working with others,” Marquez said, “I feel like my communication has gotten stronger.”

Marquez’s communication is not the only thing that has gotten stronger. In her past two years at Pace she has seen a rise in her stats, such as digs, blocks, and kills.

She hopes that her productive play will again cross over into this season and give her team a chance to compete.

“Last year we were so close to making  the conference tournaments, so coming out on top is definitely our goal for this year,” said Marquez.

Marquez will graduate in spring of 2017 with a degree in marketing and hopes to find a job in the northeast.