Saucedo Leads Second Half Surge as Pace Falls to New Haven

Saucedo sparks offense in second half

James Best, Featured Writer

The Pace Setters Football team (0-4, 0-3 NE-10) team lost 48-21 against the New Haven University Chargers (2-2, 2-1 NE-10) in a game which saw the emergence of a new quarterback for the Setters.

After a dismal first half in which the Setters were unable to compete both offensively or defensively the Chargers blew open the game with a 38-point lead at the end of the second quarter.

QB Jason Habash started the game and went six for 16 with one interception in the first half.

Habash’s inconsistent play forced the coaching staff to make yet another change at quarterback as Junior QB Faustino Saucedo entered the game to start the second half.

Head Coach Andy Rondeau explained why he made the decision to start Saucedo.

“It’s a collection of things. We weren’t having great production from the quarterback position and competition in the foundation of this program,”  Rondeau said.

“No one is the guy and we want to create a competitive environment so we decided to let [Saucedo] have a chance to drive.”

When Saucedo came into the game he immediately made an impact completing six straight passes on the first drive of the third quarter.

Saucedo connected with wide receiver Tyler Mason on a 27 yard pass that led to a touchdown by RB Micheal Scotman giving the Setters their first points of the day.

The QB continued to lead the offense completing four straight passes to four different wide receivers on the ensuing Pace drive.

Saucedo spoke about his mindset coming into the game and confidence he had to lead the offense in the second half.

“I came here to help everyone one this program. Going in at halftime I saw some guys with their heads down. When I came in I told them to keep their heads up and I began to see bright eyes. I just wanted to bring them hope,” Saucedo said.

With 9:16 left in the game, Saucedo connected with WR Alex Toplyn for a 74 yard score, the Setters’ longest passing play of the season.

The QB finished the game 16 of 25 with 281 passing yards and a TD. Saucedo’s 281 passing yards are the most for a Setters quarterback since November 8, 2014.

Sophomore WR Alex Toplyn had a breakout game catching five passes for 160 receiving yards and a touchdown.

Scotman led the way on the ground with six rushes, 23 yards and two TDs.

Defensive Back Myles Martin led the team in with 12 tackles. Defensive End Kadeem Langhorne and Linebacker Matthew Corrie totaled 10 tackles.

Defensive Tackle Jah’Sheem Martin had 3.5 tackles for losses and the team’s lone sack of the day.

Although the Setters played well in the second half, Rondeau still believes there is room for improvement and growth for his football team.

“This journey that this team is on has bumps along the road. We have good players who have waited patiently for their opportunity like [Saucedo], ” Rondeau said. “Its just about staying the path and staying humble. We need to improve in our consistency and poise and cut down on the mistakes and we can have success.”