Pace Field Hockey Finish South Carolina Road Trip With 2 Wins

Dylan Brown, Managing Editor

Pace Field Hockey began the 2022 season away from home in South Carolina for the first 3 games.

Starting last Thursday, September 1, the Setters faced Newberry College in Newberry, SC. Pace fell 3-2 in a low-scoring, defense-focused game. 

Freshman midfielder Sydney Sims struck first for the Setters in the 24th minute in period 2. In the third, Newberry College would score twice forcing a tie. Sophomore forward Tasmin Bangert in the 33rd minute tied the game to answer Sims’ goal. Sophomore midfielder Krista Dietz scored to give Pace their second goal and a 2-1 lead. That goal was met with a 44th-minute goal by Junior defender Mary Vincent. 

The 4th quarter would go scoreless with multiple stops by defenders on both sides. The 2-2 tie from the 3rd quarter would remain through overtime when freshman defender Sarah Knapp would make it 3-2 winning the game for the Newberry Wolves at the 63rd minute. 

Two days later on September 3rd, The Setters would bus to Gaffney, SC to play Limestone University. This match would be all Setters as they would win 4-0. The game would be scoreless in the first half despite multiple scoring efforts on both sides. 

Pace would break through in the second half scoring two goals in both the 3rd and 4th periods. Sophomore midfielder Noëlle Meij got Pace out of the 0s at the 31st minute and it was all Setters from there. Julia Eshleman, a junior forward would strike twice in the 41st and 57th minutes. Junior defenseman Kate Demars scored at the 55th minute. In goal, Freshman goalkeeper Alina Buerger made all 6 shots she faced, the other 6 were defended or deflected.

The next day on September 4th, Pace would stay put in Gaffney, S.C. where they would play the hosting Slippery Rock University. Meij would once again start off the scoring in this match in the 4th minute of the first quarter. In the second, senior defender Addy Ross tied the game at minute 20 of the 2nd quarter. 11 minutes later Krista Dietz would score to make it 2-1 Pace at the 31st minute. Dietz would get her second point by being credited with the assist on a goal by freshman forward Katelyn Fairhurst. With that, the defense for Pace would clamp down for the remainder of the 3rd and entirety of the 4th quarter. The Setters would win 3-1.

Up next for Pace Field Hockey is their home opener on September 13th vs East Stroudsberg University.