Pace Field Hockey Rides momentum into NE-10 Semifinals

Pace U Athletics

Pace Field Hockey pose for a picture after their upset win on snowy Brian Kelly ’83 Stadium

Dylan Brown, Managing Editor

Pace Field Hockey, The 7th seed in the NE-10 Championships has upset the Assumption University Greyhounds. It is their 6th straight win and a clear peak to an up-and-down season.

The team started 2-1 with their season commencing road trip through South Carolina. For their first 3 home games, they went 1-2 and then lost a close one at the University of New Haven on September 27th. On the 30th, Pace bounced back to shut out Southern New Hampshire University 1-0, finishing off September.

The pace went 2-2 through most of October. Their second loss came From Bentley University on October 22nd. Since then, the Setters have not lost.

Pace would then beat American International College and Southern New Hampshire by multiple goals on October 25th and November 2nd. Following that effort was another shutout victory this time over Saint Michael’s College on November 5th and a 5-2 victory against Adelphi on the 9th.

About a week ago on the 12th, Pace beat Franklin Pierce University on Senior Day which secured the 7th seed in the tournament leading to today. Coming into Tuesday, the mission was to keep going.

Assumption entered this game as the 6th ranked team in the country and they proved so, outshooting Pace in all quarters but the third and 13-8 overall. They also drew more fouls on Pace, forcing them to commit 33 to the Greyhounds’ 20. Despite this, it was scoreless by halftime.

In the third, some offense came about by the sticks of the Setters. Just 3 and a half minutes into the quarter junior defender Kate Demars got Pace on the board and the team followed with 4 more shots. At the 43-minute mark, however, Assumption drew even when their forward, sophomore Mia Salah got one behind the goalkeeper.

Less than 10 minutes into the 4th quarter Pace sophomore midfielder Noëlle Mejj scored a clutch goal on her 4th shot of the game. Assumption drew a yellow card and nothing more as the upset was realized for Coach Kayte Kinsley and her Setters.

A celebration in the Massachusetts snow, and a date for the semifinals. This time, the Setters go to West Haven Connecticut to meet the equally upset-minded 6th-seed the University of New Haven Chargers.

Watch live today on NE10Now.tv