Pace Athletics During Spring Break

Dylan Brown, Managing Editor

Monday marks our return to classes after a well-needed spring break. Some stayed home and others traveled.

Our Pace athletic teams’ seasons kept pushing along as we were gone. Plenty has happened, across our spring sports, so here is a recap of results during our week off.

Women’s Lacrosse: 4-1 record, 2-1 During the break

A week before Spring Break on March 4th, Pace pulled off an upset of the #1 team in the nation, The East Stroudsburg University Warriors on their home field. It was a definitive 16-6 victory with nine goals in the second half for Pace to 2 for East Stroudsburg.

Last Sunday, March 11, The Setters traveled to Lakeland, FL for a match with #2 ranked Florida Southern College. Pace was down 9-4 in the first half and could never recover. They got as close as 2 but Florida Southern would get 2 more and avoid the upset. The final score was 14-12.

Wednesday, The team bus went on the road to Tampa, FL for Pace to meet the 4th-ranked University of Tampa. Pace would get back on track and score their second away upset of a top 5 seed. Setters won 19-8 thanks to 11 goals in the first half and outscored the Spartans in every quarter.

Upon their return to New York, Pace went to the capital city of Albany to begin the NE-10 portion of the season vs The College Of Saint Rose.  In a high-scoring affair, Pace was victorious 20-16.

Men’s Lacrosse: 5-0 record, 3-0 during the break  

Pace Men’s Lacrosse only traveled once over the break for a game. Lynn University located in Baltimore, MD for a match last Saturday, March 11th. The Setters would return victorious with a 12-6 final score. Pace held Lynn to two goals in the second half while putting 5 in the net to get a gap they kept for good.

The Setters returned to Pleasantville to begin the NE-10 competition. MLAX played host to Saint Michael’s College on the 15th. The first quarter was a back-and-forth goal exchange. In the later part of the second quarter, Pace pulled ahead 10-5 into halftime. Saint Michael’s would not be able to catch up, only keep pace as the Setters won 16-11.

Georgian Court came to Pace Stadium on the 18th to finish the Setters’ non-conference competition for the season. The Setters remained undefeated winning 16-5.

Pace Baseball’s lineup on the field before their game vs Bentley University on March 12 (paceubaseball/IG)

Baseball: 13-2 record, 6-1 during the break

Pace Baseball went to West Palm Beach, FL for the week red hot to play 4 games. For March 11-13, Pace got the sweep of NE-10 conference rival Bentley University. Game one on the 11th was a 4-0 complete game shutout by senior Patrick Gleason. Games two and three were one-run nail-biters. In both games, Bentley scored multiple runs in the final two runs, but not enough for the comeback.

Last Monday, still in West Palm Beach, Pace played Saint Cloud State University from Saint Cloud, MN. The Setters would suffer their second and so far worst defeat of the season. Saint Cloud won 11-1, scoring 4 runs in the first inning and three in the third.

Pace returned home during the week. For the 17th and 18th, nearby institution Mercy College faced Pace in a 3-game series. The first was at Peter X. Finnerty Field went to Pace, 3-2. The 18th had a doubleheader on Mercy’s campus. The Setters won both, Game 1 to the score of 3-1, and Game 2 was a 13-0 blowout.

Softball:4-8 record, 2-6 during the break

Pace Softball spent most of last week in California. They began in Carson, CA on March 12. Pace was swept by the hosting California State University Dominguez Hills, ranked 16th in Division II Softball at the time of play. A second doubleheader was played the next day versus 12th-ranked Concordia University in Irvine, CA. Once again, The Setters were swept in both games.

Continuing south through California, Pace stopped in San Marcos, California on the 14th. For their third doubleheader, California State University, San Marcos was the host. In game 1 of the doubleheader, CSUSM shut out Pace 3-0. For the second game, Pace ended their 7-game losing streak dating back to March 5 with a 7-4 win.

Pace finished their California trip in La Miranda, California for their fourth doubleheader vs Biola University on March 16. The first game ended in a close 2-1 defeat. The second game was another victory for The Setters, winning 7-4.