Huey Lewis’ “The Heart of Rock and Roll” Still Beats on Broadway
Molly Feldman May 5, 2024

I recently had the incredible opportunity to see the new original musical comedy, The Heart of Rock and Roll. Playing eight times a week at the...

Pace Volleyball Falls to AIC

Brielle Jones(long ponytail) and Daniella Abbasante jump for a block as Jada Screen(on ground) goes prepares to help (Pace_volleyball/IG)

Pace Volleyball suffered their first loss in their NE-10 campaign to the American International College Yellow Jackets. They were defeated yesterday in straight sets.

It was back to the Goldstein Center this time. Pace lost on the road to West Chester University of Pennsylvania on their home court on September 23.

In Set 1, The Yellow Jackets had the early advantage, going up three points to one. Pace pulled into one but could not tie it. AIC got 5 of the following six points to go up 9-4 quickly. The lead soon ballooned to 18-10 in the Yellow Jackets’ favor with two runs of four straight and three straight points won. The first set would go to American International comfortably 25-18. Pace closed the set with three consecutive errors of uncharacteristic nature.

The Yellow Jackets remained full throttle with four straight points after Pace got the first of set two. This time the Setters tied it as the beneficiary of an AIC service error and a kill by middle blocker Yasmeen Muhammad. Teams would start exchanging points, neither getting too far ahead. Getting in on the kills for Pace was Cyanna Shirley the outside hitter. With double-digit points for both squads, Outside hitter Brielle Jones got three straight and forced an attack error on AIC. However, Pace was now down three, 15-12. AIC benefitted from two Setter service errors. Two kills of their own from middle blocker Aleksandra Ivanovic and outside hitter Claudia Flores Marrero got them to 20. The Yellow Jackets closed it out 25-19 to go up 2-0 in sets. Once again a service error ended it for Pace as Shirley couldn’t get the ball up cleanly.

Both squads started the third set with one point apiece. AIC went up 2-1 and got substitutes of two outside hitters and from there got seven straight points. Three of the points came from attack errors from Pace. Instantly, the Yellow Jackets were up 7-1  The team would get 4 back to cut the lead to 2. However the points were going for American International more than Pace. The Yellow Jackets got 2 before Pace got another then three straight before the home team answered, the score was 14-7. AIC got two service aces and two points on a couple more mistakes on attack from the Setters. A kill by Dila Derendi put her team up 20-10, well on their way to a road victory. A final service ace closed it out 25-14.

As a team, American International had the advantage in multiple categories. They outkilled Pace 37-24 and had a whopping 9 aces to 1, notably the ninth ending this game. Where Pace did get the upper hands was blocks, 9 to 8 over the road team.

Brielle Jones led Pace in blocks with nine and had 11 digs. Cyanna Shirley had 6 blocks, Daniella Abbasante trailing her with 5. Georgette registered 14 assists and Annika Blas-Cedeno had 12 digs to lead the team.

Pace hopes to kill their losing streak this Saturday when they go up to Albany, NY to play The College of Saint Rose. Pace stands at 7-3, a winning percentage of .700. First serve is expected at noon. Watch the Setters live on ne10now.tv