Huey Lewis’ “The Heart of Rock and Roll” Still Beats on Broadway
Molly Feldman May 5, 2024

I recently had the incredible opportunity to see the new original musical comedy, The Heart of Rock and Roll. Playing eight times a week at the...

Pace Football Gets First Win vs AIC

Pace Football(white jerseys) on defense versus American International College near midfield on September 23, 2023 (Ne10now.tv/aicyellowjackets)

SPRINGFIELD, MA- Pace Football now has a 1 in the win column. On the road the Setters beat American International College  24-14, bouncing back from last week’s tough loss vs. Franklin Pierce University.

AIC had the ball first, their drive lasting five plays. One passing play got 31 yards. Two rushes ended in a loss. Their third-down pass got only six yards, forcing a punt. 11 of the 12 plays on Pace’s opening drive were runs. They could not get in the endzone, settling for a FG. The Yellow Jackets on their next drive ran it themselves. A pass by AIC quarterback Cephas WIlliams got the team to Pace’s 3-yard line. Sidiki Kone pushed his way in to take the lead before the end of the quarter. Pace’s next drive would result in another kick for a field goal, though this time unsuccessful. The offense got the ball down to the AIC 30-yard line courtesy of more running by committee. A 10-yard Yellow Jackets penalty pushed Pace closer but Dylan Squillacioti could not convert.

Pace forced their first turnover of the game when Andrew Alberti recovered a fumble from AIC’s Jaheim McGuire. Unfortunately, they could not score. Neither could AIC on their following possession for repeat 3-and-outs. Quarterback Anthony Robinson and running backs Brandon Sobotker and Zyaire Goffney-Fleming gained 31 yards on the ground. A pass from Robinson to Tyreek Smith added 35 yards. Sobotker scored six on Pace’s final first-half possession. 10-7 the score after the kick. AIC got a final drive before halftime. A 17-yard pass equaled first down and an 11-yarder moved the sticks again. Their kicker tried from 46 yards but to no avail.

The Setters continued on foot rushing for two first downs on their opening drive. They could not get a third to keep the offense on the field, forcing a punt. AIC sent it back to Pace following two rushes and an incomplete pass. On drive two, Sobotker picked up 13 for another first down. Kennedy got six with his legs and passed to wide receiver Teddy Harper for 11 yards to the Yellow Jackets’ 25-yard line. Dominic Niccolo caught a pass for 24 yards to the 2-yard line. That allowed Nasir Robinson to force himself into the endzone.

The two teams would punt on their next possessions. AIC to end the third would get to Pace’s 1-yard line. Seba Nehket got 10 on the ground for AIC to the 39-yard line and then picked up 14 to place his team just outside the red zone. Marcus Thurston punches it in to make it 17-14 at the start of the fourth. Both defenses held firm through the period. Pace got two first downs but was not in scoring range. AIC got a 3-and-out, followed by one from Pace themselves.

An interception came from Pace’s Jaden Farrow on the AIC 18-yard line. Nasir Robinson rushed three times, for 9 yards into the endzone extending Pace’s lead. American International’s last chance went awry. Williams was sacked on first down. Two downs later he threw another interception with 1:57 left. Jalen Johnson’s pick allowed the offense to run the clock out.

Saturday’s victory brought Pace to a 1-1. Setters Football will travel back to Massachusetts next Saturday, September 30. This time, to the town of Worcester. Hosting them is (24) Assumption University on Brian Kelly ’83 Stadium. Fans can watch from noon kickoff through the final horn on ne10now.tv