Evan MahannaApril 20, 2024

Pace Football Loses Homecoming Game In Multi Overtime Effort

Junior Defensive Back Cade Saunders returns a Southern Conneticut State University fumble on October 21, 2023 (Dylan Brown)

A close game did not go Pace’s way as they fell 25-23 vs Southern Connecticut State University. Their record worsens to 2-6 overall and 1-3 at home. Defense and turnovers marked this game but in the end, it was the offense that sealed the Owls’ victory.

Last week’s game versus Bentley University was rough. Their defeat was by 18 points, 27-9 on the road. The plan for Pace was to right the ship at home in Pleasantville.

A packed Northwell Stadium was on hand for Setters Football. They had a reason to cheer immediately. SCSU deferred upon winning the coin toss. Back to return for Pace was Tyreek Smith. On the game’s first play, he runs it back the full length of the field, already giving Pace the lead. It got better for The Setters. On the Owls’ first drive of the game, they fumble. The ball got punched out by defensive lineman Pierce Tuttle and picked up by defensive back Cade Saunders who ran the other way for 46 yards to the SCSU 19. The Owls picked up a penalty putting Pace closer to the endzone. Running back Brandon Sobotker scored in one play. After the kick, it was 14-0 Pace.

Southern Connecticut would answer near the end of the 1st. They first benefitted from back-to-back Pace penalties to move up 30 yards. Running back Elijah Gray rushed for 13 on two plays to put the Owls on the board, after PAT it was 14-7. Both teams’ offense would begin to stall. Two more 3-and-outs ended the first. On SCSU’s drive to start the second quarter got all the way into the red zone. It ended with a Pace interception, their second turnover. D-Lineman Jeremy Mendez on the 6-yard line caught the low pass by Southern Connecticut quarterback Keith Ridley Jr.

Pace could not score punting back to the Owls in just 3 plays. SCSU on their next drive went for 4th down while in the red zone again, but were stopped by Saunders again. Possession hot potato continued as Pace quarterback Israel Lopez threw an interception.  One more punt per team came along next. On the following SCSU drive Ridley Jr. was picked off again, this time by defensive back Jalen Johnson for Pace. A turnover-filled first half came to a close, Setters still ahead 14-7.

Defensive players for Pace head for the sideline in celebration of the Southern Connecticut State missed field goal attempt. (Dylan Brown)

Southern Conneticut’s first drive continued as previous, with a punt. On Offense for Pace, they got into the Owls’ half of the field but the drive froze around the 27-yard line. SCSU was much sharper this time around with the ball. The team converted on two 3rd downs and once on 4th down. Ridley Jr. fit a pass into his receiver getting the team to the 3-yard line. Gray rushed for the last yards, getting his second touchdown of the game. Pace would not have the ball long after the kickoff. Sobotker fumbled, the ball recovered by The Owls on their 27-yard-line. Just before the close of the 3rd quarter, Gray rushes for seven yards over two downs, his team now on the 10. He gets to the 1 before being pushed back the next play. A pass by Ridley Jr. was caught in the endzone but not before a pass interference call. Out comes the field goal unit only for that to be unsuccessful. Again, Pace on offense does not reward the defense, having just 3 plays again.

More trouble would come for the Owls on offense. SCSU gets the ball at the 4:20 mark and fumbles it at 3:19. That is number four on the turnover tally for Southern Connecticut. Pace on offense sputters again, not even getting in field goal range. The game goes to overtime.

Both teams start on the 25-yard line and both kick field goals to extend the game; a 17-17 tie. SCSU gets the ball for turn number 2. Gray rushes twice gaining 8 on those plays. Then Ridley Jr. to Gray for 15 yards putting SCSU inside the 10. Gray pushed his way into the endzone. 23-17 SCSU. However, the 2-point conversion is dropped. Pace’s turn commences soon after and they use their feet. Nasir Robinson gets 9 yards. Lopez with a QB run to the far side for 14 yards ties the game. His two-point attempt also fails. Tied at 23-23.

Both teams have scored a touchdown, every possession from herein was a two-point conversion try. Ridley Jr is unsuccessful twice. Lopez has his first try fall to the ground. His second throw is caught by Teddy Harper in the endzone but no points. An ineligible player downfield penalty is called costing 5 yards. The redo is not successful. Ridley Jr found a receiver two attempts later cutting inside on a Pace DB, The Owls will walk away victorious.

Pace’s offensive struggles were apparent. Southern Connecticut had 27 first downs to Pace’s 9. On the ground, 142 rushing yards to the Owls, 82 for the Setters. By air, 326 yards for SCSU, 67 for Pace. Pace punted 8 times to their opponents 4 times. A recipe for disaster, the 14-point lead grew thinner as the defense grew more tired. The offense was on the field for 19:53, for SCSU they had the ball for just over 40 minutes.

Next for Pace is their final road game of the year. On October 28, the Setters travel to Rindge, New Hampshire, home of the Saint Anselm College Hawks. Kick off is scheduled for 1 p.m. Watch live on ne10now.tv