Evan MahannaApril 20, 2024

Pace Basketball Celebrates Senior Night, Teams Split with Saint Anselm

Graduate Forward Sean Bresnan drives to the basket on a Saint Anselm defender in the first half on February 27, 2024(Dylan Brown)

Tuesday’s game was the last regular season game for 6 seniors across Pace Women’s Basketball and Men’s Basketball. The ceremonies were held before the start of both competitions. This was their turn for a plaque and a picture with their family and coach just as they did on singing day long ago.

Women’s Basketball

Mackenzie Martin joined Pace after four years at Fairfield University. As a grad student, she has scored in double digits four times during the season. Martin sits at 4.8 points and 3.9 assists per game.

Senior Ashley Marroco is graduating having made NE-10 Honor Roll every year. She was part of the 2021-22 team that went to the Elite 8 in the NCAA Tournament.

Transitioning to Team manager this year, Morgan Brown played three years for Pace. Her sophomore year was also a historic one, part of the team advancing into the Elite 8.

Team Manager Deanna Dempsey has been on staff for three of her four years. She’s made numerous contributions and most graphics on the official Instagram are hers.

The Game

Most of the first quarter was a back and forth betwen the Setters and the Hawks of Saint Anselm. The road team finally got the lead with just 59 seconds left before it ended. Pace tied the game twice in the second quarter. Again, however The Hawks broke out to a lead with some cushion going into halftime up 27-21. The break seemed to do little in slowing Saint Anselm’s momentum, outscoring Pace 21-13. The lead would never get under 10 again. The Setters fell at home 56-43. Their regular season concludes at 17-11, 11-11 in the NE-10.

Men’s Basketball

Playing all five years at Pace, Bryan Powell has been there for Pace MBB’s success this decade. He was part of both teams that got to the NCAA Tournament and recently entered the Top-10 in Program scoring.

Marc Dadika transferred in from Farleigh Dickinson and became key to big man play for Pace. He’s recorded 5 double doubles for his career and was a contributor to the Pace teams back in the NCAA Tournament

Graduate Student Sean Bresnen came to Pace after 4 years with Franklin Pierce University. He has been a conssitent contributor, shooting 36% from 3.

The Game

Saint Anselm jumped to a hot start, opening a 15-7 lead. Defense got Pace back into the game, retaking control ahead 22-19 with a three by the aforementioned Bresnan with 7:49 left. The Hawks would score just three more times in the half as jumpshots for the blue and gold began falling. Pace lead 38-27 at halftime. In the second, the advantage reached 20 when Powell hit a three pointer of his own. The Setters commited just 3 turnovers the rest of the way while shooting 55% as a team. They lead by 30 at one point, 74-44 with 4:35 to go. The blowout ended with a score of 78-51. 3 players scored in double figures while point guard Tray Alexander got a double double with 19 points and 10 assists. The victory locked them into the 4 seed getting a bye to the quaterfinals.

Both teams will play one more time in the Goldstein Fitness Center. Pace WBB, seeded 6th for the NE-10 Championships host 11th seeded Adelphi for the right to advance to the quaterfinal. That game is tomorrow, March 1 at 5:30.

Pace Men’s Basketball will welcome the winner #12 Franklin Pierce vs #5 Southern New Hampshire. The next home game for them is on Sunday, March 3 at 3:00.