Fall 2012 Back To School Shopping

Well, it is that time of year again. The warm summer nights are coming to a close, making it time to start spending that hard earned summer cash on the latest fall trends  and  necessary school and dorm supplies.

With the first few days of classes now completed, it is time to make sure that everything that is needed for the rest of the semester is right inside your dorm.

This year’s fall fashion for women is all about patterns, shocking solids, and the little embellishments along the way. Clothing stores such as Forever 21, H & M, Guess, and more are embracing this new line of clothes making the new trends the must-have pieces in any wardrobe.

Bursts of color are adding a “wow” factor for this upcoming season, starting with a new selection of neon and color jeans. While regular blues jeans in any fit and wash are always in style, this fall grab a few jeans in an array of different colors. From red to green, these jeans, paired with a nice top or a tee and a jacket, will complete any outfit whether it is for class in Miller Hall, work at an on campus job or an outing with friends.

Another way to add a drama to the closet is to purchase clothes designed using the color blocking technique. This style is currently very popular on the on the runway and offers an unlimited number of color combinations.

Textures and embellishments on clothing are another popular aspect of 2012 fall fashion. Thick stitching designs add patches of color while the warmth of corduroy will add the perfect amount of texture to a plain tee and a cardigan. Additionally, leather and faux fur jackets are making a comeback by adding a level of sophistication to each outfit while still remaining edgy. Boyfriend blazers in a plethora of shades is also essential for both class and any fall internship.

Whether it is floral, thin stripes, animal, plaid, or tribal, patterns are back for this fall season. Paired with a solid, a simple pattern is all that is needed to boost even the simplest of outfits. The pattern has also migrated from just a dress or a blouse to shoes, tights, scarfs, and even denim thus adding a new dimension to the “basic” back-to-school outfit.

Men’s fashion this semester has added a whole new selection of graphic tees. From quotes to elaborate designs, the graphic tee is easy to wear, easy to match, and most importantly, easy to wash! Paired with the latest fall jeans a graphic tee can be worn to class or to Kessel for lunch with friends. For a more sophisticated look pair the jeans with a long sleeve button down in stripes or solid colors and a nice pair of shoes.

This fall season also brings a new selection of Greek life clothing. Greek Life here at Pace may only make up approximately 12 percent of the campus student body but never the less is an important fixture on campus. So Greeks, don’t forget to order some new letters to ring in the school year with. Websites selling Greek merchandise constantly update their selection of patterns and designs and give great discounts on group orders!

Besides the usual schools supplies of pencils, pens, notebooks, and binders there are also some things that are important to bring on campus and to every class. This semester don’t forget to pack a laptop or iPad for the late night papers or in-class notes, an iPod for the walk around campus, and a cell phone for emergencies and for communication with family and friends on and off campus. Additionally, make sure to always have extra headphones, a laptop or iPad case, and a flash drive.

“For students who are dorming, it is important to bring bins and different organizers like shoe racks and shelves for closets to make the most out of the space they are given. For classes, a planner is definitely essential,” said senior psychology major Melissa Badia.

Dorm accessories are the key for any back to school shopping list; after all, it is the little things that will make school feel like home. When it comes to the dorm room it is important to remember one thing: little aspects of personality should be reflected in the room.  A fun comforter, pictures, and posters will make each room unique and individualistic. However, while decorating is always fun, don’t forget the necessities such as a Pace-approved lamps, towels, a shower caddy, a single-cup coffee maker, trash bags, and tons of snack food!

“I think every college student needs a good lamp with an extra bright light to study,” said, junior childhood education major Hana Ljubicic. “A lot of light keeps you awake and alert, especially during finals when you can be studying longer than the library is open. Also, remember Roman Noodles or Cup-of- Soups to live on.”

The last weeks of summer are filled with many activities. Final days in the pool, with friends, and in the sun are a must – but don’t wait to mid-semester to have to run to the store in a panic. Go out and make your purchase before or during the first few weeks of school. In the end a little preparation within the first few weeks will allow for smooth sailing all year long.