Our Lady of 121st Street Cast
Pace University's Spring Play: Our Lady of 121st Street

Pace University’s spring play, Stephen Adly Guirgis’ Our Lady of 121st Street, premiered this past week at Arc Stages right here in Pleasantville....

Response to BIPOC Mentors Unpaid Since Fall
Response to "BIPOC Mentors Unpaid Since Fall"
Pace Chronicle StaffApril 12, 2024

We thank Dr. Stephanie Akunvabey, Ms. Nila Bhaumik, and Ms. Susan Donahue for taking the article, posted on March 15th, 2024, into consideration...

Graduate Attacker Sydney Juvelier(#14) leaps in celebration with teammates Nikki Mottes(#28) and Lindsay Radmann(#23) vs Adelphi University on April 10, 2024(pacewlax/IG)
#1 WLAX Overcomes #3 Adelphi in Road Test

GARDEN CITY, N.Y.-  Another top-5 matchup went to the Setters. Pace Women's Lacrosse defeated the Adelphi University Panthers 12-11 on the road....

Faculty Art Show Opens At Pace

Pace Faculty Art Exhibition 2012 opened its doors for public viewing last Wed. Sept. 12 and will remain open until Sept. 29. The focus of the show is to display the creative works of faculty members on the Pleasantville campus.

Each piece that is admitted into the art show is required to go through a submission process that includes a written introduction/description of the art pieces, as well as some artwork from the artist’s portfolio that is viewable on to a CD. The work is reviewed by a selection of artists who make the final selections.

Staff Assistant for Dyson College of Arts and Science Fine Art Department, Yvette Jones said, “I think it is inspirational for students to see the work of their professors published and on display on campus.   It allows them to see a visual example of many of the subjects we offer in the Art Department…Especially if a student has never taken any of the courses mentioned and has a strong interest.”

Jones, along with the event curator and the student gallery assistants, work together to schedule and plan the galleries that are held on campus. After filtering through several factors and ensuring they meet the mission of the art gallery, they form a schedule of which the exhibits will be held. These include when they will open the art pieces to the campus, for how long will the galleries be up, and during what hours will students, faculty, staff, and visitors will be able to look through the art work.

Junior communications major, Stephanie Figueroa said, “As a gallery assistant, I help build up the Gallery center. I look at many paintings and photography… I believe that having an Art Gallery give students a more diverse meaning of what Art really is and how much further they can go within the world of art.”

This year’s faculty art gallery contains pieces of art work that cover a plethora of mediums that include drawing, painting, photography, and ceramics. There is a total of 38 pieces on display from 11 faculty members.

Adjunct art professor Kathryn  Marohn, who curated several art exhibits across the world including this one, is one of the professors featured in the art show. She has two charcoal drawings on paper that are on display entitled “Peppers” and “Power Out, July 2012”.

“I became an artist because I have always had a drive to make things,” said Marohn. “Above all, I like the feel of the materials I use and even sometimes the smell.  I like the mental focus that occurs when I immerse myself in painting or drawing.  I talk a lot in class about this phenomenon of losing yourself in the process of creating.”

The faculty gallery is on display in the Choate House Art Gallery. To view this collection of artwork, please visits Mon., Tues., Wed., and Sat. between 12 p.m. and 4 p.m. and Friday between 12 p.m. and  6 p.m.  A reception will be held on Thurs., Sept.20 at 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. The exhibition and reception are free to the public.

For more information about upcoming shows or how to become involved, please contact Yvette Jones at [email protected].