Taken 2 Surprises Audience

Taken 2 is the newest thriller movie to hit the box office, premiering this past weekend in theaters across the United States. The Film, which is a sequel to the 2008 movie Taken, continues to follow the lives of Bryan Mills, a retired CIA agent, and his family.

After saving his kidnapped daughter from human trafficking in the first film, Mills and his family are still trying to get back into the rhythm of their daily lives. When Mills goes to Istanbul, Turkey for a high security mission he is surprised when his daughter and his ex-wife agree to come along for the trip. Little did he know that the voyage would take the turn for the worst as enemies from his past threatens the safety of his family and himself.

Liam Nesson reprises his role as Bryan Mills, the intelligent, methodic, and overprotective agent and father.  Nesson, who is an actor from Northern Ireland, is known for a plethora of other roles including The Grey, Clash of Titans and its sequel Wrath of the Titans, and Batman Begins.

Maggie Grace and Famke Janssen returned as the supporting roles of Mill’s daughter, Kim, and ex-wife, Lenore. Grace has had small roles in other films and television programs including Lost, Law and Order SVU and The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn. Janssen is perhaps most well known for her role as Jean Grey, the Phoenix in the X-Men trilogy.

Taken 2 maintained a majority of the qualities present in the first film. The story was decent and though not as well written as its predecessor, it continued the fast pace dialogue between the actors and viewers and left the audience curious to see what happened next.

Additionally, the cinematography of the film was brilliant. By using an array of shots and angles such as long shots, extreme close ups, and angles like bird-eye view,  the film was visually appealing and truly fit the story it was portraying. The use of light was also used very well and truly helped set the tone of many scenes.

The film also utilized the component of time and used techniques such as montage, slow motion, and fast motion to help engage the audience even more.

Despite receiving only 19 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, Taken 2 was liked by 76 percent of viewers according to the website.

The film surprised the audience by being relatively good compared to many squeal films that simply flop in the box office. The story, though not as fleshed out and lagging at points, still maintained the characters personalities that made the first film such a success.

Overall, Taken 2 was executed well and produces a generally good continuation of the lives of Bryan Mills and his family.

For more information on Taken 2 or the actors who perform in the movie, please visit IMDb.com.