The cast of Our Lady Of 121st Street at Arc Stages. 
Left to right: Jillian Hinz, Evan Mahanna, Patrick Purcell, Belle Duddie, Kendall Key, Marquise McCullough, Lilah McCormack, Darius Tiru, Leanna Ward, Michaela Elyse Williams, Faith Andrews,  Payton Cocchia.
Pace University's Spring Play: Our Lady of 121st Street

Pace University’s spring play, Stephen Adly Guirgis’ Our Lady of 121st Street, premiered this past week at Arc Stages in Pleasantville. Opening...

Women in Politics

The race for presidency revolves around a variety of issues that will impact the daily lives of the citizens of the United States. These issues, and the stances each of the candidates take on them, will determine the outcome of the election and who will become the 45 president of the United States.

The fight for women equality began in the late 1800s and resulted in the right to vote starting in the 1920 election. Despite this massive achievement there are still aspects of women’s rights that are sorely lacking.

Though there are several issues being discussed today, very important issues are on the topics of abortion, Planned Parenthood, and birth control.

Both President Obama and Governor Mitt Romney have very strong opinions on these issues. However, their stances differ a great deal. Their diverse opinion

According to the minor statements made in the past two presidential debates, President Obama believes it is the choice of women to use judgment regarding her body. This includes abortion and any other contraceptives women may use.

“When it comes to abortion I truly do believe that it is a woman’s choice. Personally, I could never do it, but I believe it’s the woman’s choice depending on the situation she is in,” said junior childhood education major, Kristen DeRosa.

In regards to these issues, Romney wants to overturn the Supreme Court decision of Roe versus Wade and supports a bill called The Blunt Amendment. This bill is designed to restrict access to contraceptives and birth control. Additionally, he wants to cut funding to Plan Parenthood.

“I really cannot wrap my head around women who are voting for Romney. He has a backwards view of women’s rights and supporting the Blunt Amendment Act and the Planned Parenthood Amendment are steps in the wrong direction,” said junior nursing major Arielle Winters.

With the 2012 election well underway and only a few weeks until the polls open, now is the time that President Obama and his competitor Governor Mitt Romney to truly influence their voters.

Approximately fifty-one percent of the population is female; this means that the results of these issues could potentially impact the women across the country and the generations of women to come.

“Women issues are a very important topic in the 2012 election because it affects so many people,” said senior business major Kelsey Weinstein. “This is an important concept to consider while casting a vote because one must consider the greater good for the majority not the minority.”

The home stretch is here and in the end this race will come down to more than just democrats and republican; it will come down to  the women who support either candidates’ views on women rights.