Evan MahannaApril 20, 2024

Seeing red: Taylor Swift Tops Charts with New Album

Multi-award winning musical artist, Taylor Swift, released her new album Red on Oct. 22.

This newest collection by the singer, which sold 1.2 million copies within the first week, has had the largest amount of sales of an album during its opening within the past 10 years and securely sat at the number one position on the Top 200 Billboard charts its first week.

According to the New York Times, in its second week the Red record sold approximately three-hundred-and-thirty-four thousand copies. Though this is a 72 percent drop in sales, the record still remains at the top of the charts and is well ahead of the other records listed on the chart.

After two weeks the album sold close to 1.5 million copies total, additionally making the album the second best seller of the year. Currently, Swift stands behind Adele’s hit album “21” (4.1 million sales in the U.S. this year).

This is not Swift’s first time at the top of the charts, both her second albums Fearless and third album Speak Now spent time at number one.

The new musical collection brings new series of songs to the millions of fans Swift has already built.

The new album contains 16 songs, a track list that length is about an hour long. Each song was written or co-written by Swift herself. The album includes Swift’s newly released songs “We are Never Ever Getting Back Together” and “Begin Again.” Other songs including ones named “22,” “I Knew You Were Trouble,” and “Red.”

The record also includes two duet songs. These songs are called “The Last Time” and “Everything Has Changed” including the vocal talents of Gary Lightbody of Snow Portrol and Ed Sheeran singer of the song “The A Team”.

While listing to the album a listener may notice several things. Mainly that the record includes many songs that are of similar style of songs such as “Begin Again” and other Swift hits.

In the song “I Knew You Were Trouble” and “Red”, one can hear the similar musical structure to songs such as other older Swift songs including “Our Song” and “Pictures to Burn”. Songs on the Red album such as “State of Grace”, “Treacherous”, and “Sad, Beautiful, Tragic”, are similar to songs such as “White Horse” and “Back to December.”

However, though one can hear these songs and guess that it is Swift who is singing it, the album shows a pinch of inspiration from other artists like Katy Perry, Kelly Clarkson, and Carrie Underwood.

Additionally, this album shows a certain level of change in Swift herself – portraying her and her stories in a more sophisticated manner.

This album, which currently still remains at the top of the Billboard 200 chart, brings a much more matured perspective to love and life.

The album contains a series of love songs, the tracks combined to tell the stories of the good and bad of moments love.

This album is transcribed with beautiful honesty, a sense of pain, and a glimmer of happiness. Each song tells a story; these stories combine to show love in a way Swift has never quite shown before.

On the special edition episode of “20/20” called “All Access Nashville with Katie Couric – A Special Edition of 20/20”,  Swift announced a 2013 tour for the Red album. The tour, which will include Ed Sheeran and will begin March 13 in Omaha, Nebraska, will have a total of 58 shows that will take place in 45 cities and 29 states. The tour will continue until September.

Though Taylor Swift is young being only 22, she has mange to touch her audience with her music and has had an immensely successful career, something that is rare and beautiful in the industry.To learn more about Taylor Swift or to purchase her new album, or to buy early tickers to her new tour, please visit Taylorswift.com.