Masturbation Leading to E.D in Young Men

In today’s society, it is hard for any man to admit that he isn’t up to handling one of the few task that well, make him, a man.  While erectile dysfunction isn’t that uncommon in men approaching their late 60’s and 70’s a young man in his 20’s and 30’s is a different story all together.

“I have never had a sexual partner that has ever had a problem staying hard, but I have heard other girls talking about their partners having it happen” said Freshman Psychology major Kasie Corcoran.

But what is the cause? Is it really ED and what is causing it in college age men?

“I think it could be performance jitters” said junior psychology major Morgan Allen, “or it could just be stress, it is hard for guys to handle stress and it effects the body hormones.”

Allen is correct. There are 6 major causes to ED in men. Performance jitters, Depression, Condom troubles, Booze, Drug Abuse, and Obesity (obesity is not a direct cause but through obesity leading to diabetes causes ED in men).

In a study done by the National Institutes of Health they estimate that erectile dysfunction strikes as many as 30 million men in the United States. 4 percent in their 50s, 17 percent in their 60s, 47 percent in their 70s and over and a total of 5 percent in their 20s and 30s.  (While 5 percent may not seem like a large number, know that until the early 2000s this number of young men was .2 percent)

In a study done by Carlo Foresta, head of the Italian society and anthropology of sexual medicine they found that the cause for young men who suffer from ED is “Sexual Anorexia” which comes from excessive porn use/ masturbation.  In his study he found of 28,000 users, that many males started an “excessive consumption” of porn sites as early as 14 and after daily use in their early to mid-20s became inured to “even the most violent” images.

In the study they found that because of excessive masturbation, men were suffering from a loss of libido when it came to being with an intimate partner because the female sex organ didn’t have the same roughness as a guys hand when he masturbates, pair that with the loss of intense stimulating images that he is used to pairing with the action and the onset of Erectile dysfunction comes out.

“Once young men first begin suffering from the loss of an erection it becomes a psychological blow and they 3 out of 5 will turn to drug enhancements to help them perform.” stated Foresta in his study.

But the solution is simple, ease back on how often you masturbate and find other ways to release your tension by playing a sport, going to the gym, or hanging out with friends. And to help with the need to release your seed, find a partner. But whatever you do don’t turn to performance drugs. Doctors warn against men in their early 20’s and 30’s turning to Viagra or other stimulants because the overuse of them in your younger age can be harmful. While considered safe, taking these medications in un-prescribed doses can lead to serious complications.