Evan MahannaApril 20, 2024

The Biker verses the Zombie

In a world where bikers and zombies once coexisted in a peaceful harmony, that surreal universe has now been shattered after the show runner for the hit AMC show “The Walking Dead” announced he would not return for season four.

When news broke that Glen Mazzara, the show runner since the second seasons of “The Walking Dead”, decided to leave the popular zombie show, many cried that AMC was no place for the creative show runner, including “The Shield” creator, Shawn Ryan and none other than that of Kurt Sutter, creator and producer of the hit FX television motorcycle show “Sons of Anarchy.”

Though it has been reported that the split between Mazzara and AMC was amicable and due to creative differences, both Ryan and Sutter went to Twitter.

Sutter went on to state not only is AMC “small minded” and  full of “bottom-line thinkers”  but additionally that Mazzara is the reason the zombie show had any future at all, citing “Even zombies need consistency.”

Though the comments were later reported to be removed, Robert Kirkman, creator of “The Walking Dead” comic and owner of the rights to the television program went to Twitter himself stating the following:

“@sutterink is brilliant and Sons is my favorite show on TV. Still, it’s upsetting to see him ranting about things he knows nothing about.”

Sutter, who is known for being open with his opinions, has said that not only does he think that so many behind the scene staff changes will not be in the best interest of the show but also that the series will eventually plummet because of lack of consistency.

In two videos posted on Sutter’s website sutterink.com that were dated Jan. 2, Sutter spoke about “the death of the creative process” speaking specifically of “The Walking Dead”.

He predicted that “In season 4, when this will all happen, the numbers will be big, and people will show up. Will it continue to do well? No. My sense is that without somebody like a Glen Mazzara running that show, eventually it will lose focus and the narratives will run out of steam, and it won’t be able to build off of itself, and it will suffer.”

“I think this little feud between “Sons of Anarchy” and “The Walking Dead” is unnecessary,” said sophomore applied psychology major Jessica Paliswiat. “Both shows have accomplished a lot over the past year. Instead of fighting and bad-mouthing each other, they should have mutual respect over the fact that they are both exceptionally entertaining, which is proven by their huge fan bases.”

Recently, CEO of AMC Josh Sapan spoke out stating, according to the Huffington Post, that AMC does promote the creative process but also is open to creative ideas.

“I don’t think it is professional, it doesn’t concern them,” said senior communications major Felicia DiGiacomo.

“It’s sort of like gossiping about people you know nothing about; it doesn’t concern them and therefore the show creators of one show should not comment on what changes another show makes.”

Season four will feature Scott Gimple as the new show runner. Gimple has been with the show since season two and has a vast understanding of the comics according to Kirkman. Gimple was the series supervising producers.

In the end this is not the first staff changes to be made to “The Walking Dead”; Mazzara replaced Frank Darabont as the show runner in the second season. Additionally, the show has killed off many major characters so far in the series.

Only the future will show what will happen with both hit shows, however, we hope peace is on the horizon for both the Zombies and the Bikers.

“The Walking Dead” returns to AMC on Sun. Feb. 10for the midseason premiere of season three.