Photo via paceuathletics.com
Men's Lacrosse seeded 3rd for NE-10 Playoffs

The regular season for Northeast-10 Men's Lacrosse has come to an end. In a dead heat, the Setters wound up with the third seed in the conference....

Evan MahannaApril 20, 2024

Nicholas Diaz and Paris TraceyApril 19, 2024

Review: Walking Dead Mid-Season Premiere

If you follow the hit show the Walking Dead, the mid-season three premiere of Episode 9 “The Suicide King”, started exactly where we left off in the mid-season finale back in Dec. 2012. Without giving away the important details that non viewers (and hopefully eventual viewers) have not seen, that place is right in the center of conflict, intensity, and on the brink of change.

The episode begins in the blocked off town in Woodbury and has scenes that occur there and in the prison (the current safe haven of Rick and the other survivors). Throughout the episode we continue to see characters grow into their roles in the group and even see characters begin to break the perceptions viewers have of them.

Additionally, during the course of the episode we watch through the viewpoints of many characters and continue to see how the world around them is changing them and how certain aspects of humanity can remain despite the horrors around them. We also see loss of humanity.

The first episode of the mid-season ends with a very emotionally intense scene. Shot in low lighting with the slight use of slow motion it is in this moment we see our “hero”, or “anti-hero”, depending on your view of him, at one of the visually weakest mental points.

The hour long episode follows many themes including humanity verse survival of the fitness reality verse imagination, family and loyalty.   These themes are personified in a series of intense moments where you are left emotionally drained.  These moments will likely continue throughout the rest of the season and beyond.

The rest of this season additionally is the last season to have the direction and influence of show runner Glen Mazzara, who stepped down the end of last year and caused controversy along the television industry including many negative reactions from other creators and the director of the FX drama Sons of Anarchy, Kurt Sutter.

From a technical stand point the episode included many methods of storytelling beyond the use of dialogue. The process of storytelling and attention to detail can be seen in the extensive and beautifully composed camera work, the tones created by lighting, and the action and interaction of the characters themselves.

The season three mid-season finale had 15.2 million people tune in and left many excited and nervous to see where the story and the characters are headed. In the newest episode alone we can see there will be battle, blood, and zombies… everywhere. Even in the zombie apocalypse, the sense of gloom over the characters is undeniable and intense. In this world, nothing is safe, not even characters.

Scott Gimple has now taken on the role of show-runner after becoming an executive producer of The Walking Dead back in season two.   There are seven episodes remaining in the season which will conclude on March 31.

On Dec. 21, 2012, The Walking Dead was renewed for a fourth season.

The Walking Dead will continue to premiere weekly on AMC on Sundays at 9 p.m.  For more information on The Walking Dead, the actors, or the story, please visit AMC.com or Imdb.com