Evan MahannaApril 20, 2024

Artist Spotlight: Patrick Dooley

Artist Spotlight: Patrick Dooley

When it comes to being creative, artistic, or even channeling the inner concepts of our thoughts, each person finds that inspiration from different sources.

Freshman criminal justice major Patrick Dooley has a passion for art classes, taking two courses in his first two semesters here.

“I personally am not an art major, but I am currently trying to make art my minor before Pace rids the school of all art programs,” Dooley said.

Despite the many changes that are now being introduced to the Visual Arts Department, Dooley wants to become an art minor so he can continue to hone his artistic skills while taking these classes.

As an artist, Dooley works in many forms of art, including colored pencils and markers, but due to his attention to the small fine points of his art pieces, he prefers working in pencil.

“I am someone who pays a lot of attention to detail and needs every little line to be perfect,” Dooley said.

It is this very precision, dedication, and commitment to his pieces that was applied to the work he considers to be his greatest accomplishment, a pencil sketch recreation of a photograph of him on top of a Sierra Nevada Mountain called Mount Warren.

He considers this particular project his most accomplished piece because of how much time he spent making the images just right, including a near four hours on the shading alone in one particular corner.

“I have never been obsessed with one particular thing like that before,” Dooley said.

This same mindset is what Dooley applies to all he does, including other hobbies such as his academics, hiking, and swimming. Additionally, Dooley has been an Eagle Scout for seven years and can play the Ukulele.

Dooley also believes that his artistic ability may run in his family, as his mother and sister are both able to create art pieces, mainly paintings.

When it comes to the future, Dooley has many things he would like to try. However, he is the most interested in tattoo art.

“Personally, I would love to learn how to tattoo,” Dooley said.  “Most of my drawings are for friends who don’t want to pay the tattoo artist for the design work so I’ll just be the one to do it for free. I actually intend on looking for somewhere to intern over the summer so that I am able to learn all that I can.”

In the end, Dooley is an remarkable artist who can draw with amazing detail and bring his characters to life through his dedication.

Dooley’s work will be displayed in a project studio art show that will open on Aprril 25. For more information on the show please contact Yvette Jones at [email protected].