Challengers (2024) official poster
Challengers Review
Evan MahannaMay 10, 2024

Challengers, directed by Luca Guadagnino, is a new romantic sports drama that brings a fresh approach to both genres. It’s a tale of a toxic...

Official Poster for Pace Docs 2024 documentary, The Cooper: Crafting The Soul of The Cask
Graphic design by Lilah McCormack
PaceDocs Premieres "The Cooper: Crafting the Soul of the Cask"
Evan MahannaMay 7, 2024

Pace University's Producing the Documentary course students traveled to Spain to film a new documentary this year. As part of the annual PaceDocs...

Photo Courtesy of Pace Athletics(Paceatheltics/IG)
Pace MLAX To Play in NCAA Tournament
Dylan Brown, Managing Editor • May 6, 2024

For the first time in 7 years, Pace University Men's Lacrosse is in the NCAA Tournament. The Setters learned of their fate last evening via live...

Sweatin’ the Small Stuff: Molly and the Five Ws

Photo From tumBlr.com Molly has been a hot topic recently, but what is the hype really about?

For anyone who has not watched or read the news lately, there has been growing specula- tion regarding a party drug called Molly, which has recently been labeled as possibly being respon- sible for the deaths of four young

people on the East Coast during the summer of 2013. The drug is definitely growing in popularity, being mentioned by celebrities like Madonna and sung about by Miley Cyrus. While the drug itself is surrounded by specula- tion and uncertainty by medical specialists and investigators, it is important that, given the re- cent Molly-related deaths, young people are made aware of what is known about Molly.

To start off, who is using Molly? Generally, it is young adults of college age, between 18 and 29, who use the drug (which is recognized as a variation of ecstasy). In fact, the most recent fatality believed to be connected to the use of Molly occurred to 19-year-old Mary Goldsmith in Washington D.C. In addition, 23-year-old Jeffrey Russ of Rochester, NY, and

23-year-old Olivia Rotondo of Providence, RI, died using Molly, while attending the Electric Zoo dance music festival in New York just weeks ago this summer.

Perhaps the most important question on everyone’s minds is much more basic than who is us- ing Molly, asking instead what it is. The truth is no one is exactly sure what Molly is. It is common- ly suggested that Molly contains methylenedioxy-methamphet- amine, or MDMA, which is also common termed Ecstasy. It is also widely agreed upon that Molly is almost always mixed with other ingredients. ABC News reporter Sydney Lupkin states in her ar- ticle “Club Drug ‘Molly’ Eyed in Four Deaths” that “In Molly, the MDMA has been cut with ev- erything from baby powder to rat poison…But more often than not, Molly isn’t MDMA at all. Instead, it’s often methylone, a similar and equally deadly substance.” The drug is intended to stimulate se- rotonin, dopamine, and norepi- nephrine in the brain, which can contribute to hallucinations and feelings of happiness.

Where is Molly being used? As is common with most drugs, Molly is known and used throughout the country. The four recent deaths that are causing

such speculation regarding the drug, however, took place on the East Coast of the United States. Reasons for this may have to do with the fact that Molly is a party drug. As in the case of Russ and Rotondo, the two were attending a music concert. Goldsmith fell victim to Molly while clubbing in Washington D.C. All three fa- talities took place in cities, where music and partying thrive, partic- ularly for young people ages 18- 29, who spend their free time at concerts or in clubs with friends.

Why is Molly so dangerous? Why is it so popular? Well, it’s dangerous nature is related to many possible health problems. According to Sydney Lupkin’s article, “Death from pure MDMA can happen several ways,” the drug can cause strokes, heart at- tacks, lead to fatal brain damage, and ultimately cause seizures. As if these serious possibilities were not enough, one also has to be cautious of dehydration and or over-hydration if he takes any drug containing MDMA.

As always, when it comes to drugs, the best policy is to say no. However, this is especially true given that hardly anyone knows for certain what Molly contains and therefore has limited knowl- edge about its potential effects.