Charlamagne Bails on SGA Pace Code

Due to a last minute contract disagreement, television person¬ality and radio talk show host Charlamagne Tha God backed out of appearing at the highly anticipated Pace Code event held by the Student Government As¬sociation (SGA).

“He informed us at noon that he wanted a car service and we had already paid him for trans¬portation. He wanted to elimi¬nate the price, and because it was so last minute we couldn’t do it,” SGA board member Ashley Lora said.

Aside from the sudden in¬crease of transportation costs, Charlamagne also demanded that he only wanted to be at the event for an hour, as opposed to the longer time in which he would have had a meet and greet with students allowing them to take pictures with him.

This didn’t stop the hosts of the evening from providing the event.

“We never planned on having him host the event, he was only supposed to provide input into what we were talking about,” said Lora, who is also a junior history major and political sci¬ence minor.

Pace Code aimed at getting students to be honest with each other in an entertaining environ¬ment. The idea was loosely based upon the hit MTV shows Guy Code and Girl Code in which television personalities, such as Charlamagne Tha God, voice their opinions on specific gender topics that are usually swept un¬der the rug, especially in casual conversation.

“I’ll be Charlamagne up in here,” senior philosophy major Qadry Harris shouted.

SGA brought up topics that most students have strong opin¬ions about, making it more relat¬able.
To make the idea more relat¬able to Pace students, SGA mem¬bers brought up topics that most students have strong opinions about.

“I think people love it be¬cause they already know the show, and it’s a way for people to realize what goes on campus; the hush-hush kind of stuff. It also lets them share what they think is considered ‘normal’ and what isn’t,” Lora said.

They started off the evening with the topic of dating on cam¬pus.

“I would never ever suggest anyone should date anyone from Pace,” one student yelled into the microphone.
It was in this moment that students started loosening up and the topics kept flowing. Diet and exercise was next on the hit list, and for every insult about Chart¬well’s Food Service, Harris had a quick rebuttal, disproving their beliefs with statistics and facts.

Then they switched the for¬mat to the popular hashtag #ICANT, which gave students the opportunity to complain about the ridiculous things they see around the campus.

“When freshman girls wear heels and short dresses up to townhouses; #ICANT,” yelled one student, creating an outburst of laughter and cheering from everyone in the room.

Other topics were brought up, some gaining more atten¬tion than others. Regardless of whether or not Charlamange Tha Bail showed up, SGA was able to fill up Gottesman Room.

“I would really love to do this again; we just aren’t sure how relevant Guy/Girl Code is go¬ing to be next year, so we might have to rebrand it. I just think it’s a great way for all of us to get together in a laid back environ¬ment,” Lora said.