Students Strut Their Stuff For A Pink Cause

SARA MORIARTY, Feature Editor

Pace sorority Nu Zeta Phi worked to “save second base” during homecoming last week. With events including “Take a bite out of cancer” and their annual “Think Pink fashion show,” Nu Zeta girls educated Pace students and raised money to fight against breast cancer.

Students filled Willcox gym for The Think Pink Fashion Show, their main event. They sat around the runway, prepared to watch their peers strut all dressed in pink.

Several students—both male and female—participated in the event by modeling in three categories: professional, sleepwear, and sexy. Judges, comprised of Nu Zeta Phi alumnae and two professors, determined who was able to “strut their stuff” the best in all three categories.

Sophomore Diego Caro of Delta Kappa Epsilon received first place at the event, while junior Steven Cosentino and sophomore Damen Bonis of Alpha Phi Delta took second for their modeling of silly pink clothing that brought laughs and applause from the audience.

“Typically I’m a shy guy, but having the opportunity to do this event for a cause like breast cancer awareness makes me proud I did it,” Cosentino said. “I had fun doing it, and the fact my pledge brother [Bonis] and I got second was just awesome.”

However, the show was not just about fashion. Sisters of Nu Zeta Phi also educated the audience about breast cancer, what it is, what they can do to learn more, and how to help the cause. They spoke about their participation in the Susan G. Komen “Race For The Cure” and presented statistics on breast cancer in both men and women.

“We raised a great amount of money for the philanthropy, and hopefully we raised more awareness,” Nu Zeta Phi sister and senior Sara Annese said.

Breast cancer awareness is the philanthropy of the sorority, and all of the money raised during the fashion show will go to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.

“All of the participants in the show had fantastic attitudes and showed off their vibrant personalities in support of breast cancer awareness,” Kathryn Trujillo, junior and sister of Nu Zeta Phi, said. “We were so pleased with the responses we got from people that attended, and are thankful for everyone coming out to show support.”