Consent is Sexy, A Discussion Hosted by MADP

James Best, Featured Writer

The Women’s Leadership Initiative hosted “Consent is Sexy,” an opportunity for men to discuss consent in relationships, at Kessel Student Center’s Multipurpose Room on Fri., Feb. 27.

Rachel Simon, Assistant Director and LGBTQ Coordinator for the department of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs (MADP), spoke about rape culture and affirmative consent.

“Culture dictates women cannot be upfront about sex,” Simon said. “We say men are always thinking about sex, and that men need to push women until women say no.”

Members of Pace’s fraternities had a strong presence at the event.

Fraternity brothers spoke about the sexualization of women from a young age and what contributes to this. They spoke about the power imbalance shown in fashion advertisement, the portrayal of young women as teenagers in pornography, and celebrities wearing suggestive clothes.

Simon said that in rape culture “you are not a person, you are a thing.”

The language for Pace’s new consent policy was introduced to the group. Still awaiting approval, the policy defines consent as affirmative.

“Consent is a conscious, voluntary, mutually understandable, equal, respectful, continuous, and freely communicated agreement to participate in a sexual encounter,” the policy states. “The definition of consent does not vary based on a participant’s sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or gender expression. Each person involved in the sexual activity is responsible to ensure that they have the affirmative consent of the other or others to engage in the sexual activity.”

Many attendants were confused with the policy, and some said situations could get murkier when alcohol is involved. Some even admitted to feeling reluctant to mention consent because it could ruin the mood. The consensus among male participants was to “talk less, do more.”

Simon and Cornell Craig, Director of MADP, offered a solution.

“By asking ‘are you ok with this?’ you can avoid any miscommunication,” Craig said.

Simon and Craig’s point was to ensure that both partners enjoyed a safe, consensual experience.

“Be straight forward,” Simon said. “Like, making sure the coast is clear.”

Near the end of the discussion, Simon made it clear that “consent can be revoked at any time.” Others shared experiences where their partners would be “into it” at first, but then changed their minds, and how one must respect their choice.

Simon believes approving the Policy will have a positive impact on the Pace community.