New Housing Sanction Points System

Joseph Tucci, Managing Editor

This Fall Semester Residential Life has implemented a new sanction policy in the form of a points system for residents who violate university policy.

Points are given on a scale from one to 15, based on the violation committed and the circumstances surrounding it.

Violations can include alcohol and drugs, conduct and behavior –both outside and inside campus-, and vandalism. Selling drugs –or the intent to- will result in gaining 15 points.

Residents found guilty of vandalism –of both University or private property- are required to pay the repair cost, which is $100 minimum, along with a $100 vandalism fine.

If a student has ten to 14 points before room selection and check out, they will not be allowed to participate in the room selection process. Students who accumulate 15 points can be subject to dismissal from housing.

Points are cumulative over the academic year they are received in, before resetting the during next year. If a resident is charged with a policy a violation it is possible to have up to three points removed by contacting the Student Conduct Officer who sanctioned the resident’s points.

“The points roll over for two semesters, so if we’re in the Spring semester then they also count the Fall, but they won’t count the previous Spring,” Residential Assistant (RA) of Martin Hall Mario Pichardo said.

According to the document released by Residential Life, the points system was developed in order to make the Student Conduct sanctioning process clearer, more consistent, and more predictable for residents.

“Before this policy, you would get written up, and it kind of would do something, but it was never specific that it was points,” Elm Hall resident Nick Ostrander said.

Ostrander says like some aspects of the policy are not fair and could be improved.

“I think if it reset between semesters that would be a little fairer than having it carry over each semester in my opinion,” Ostrander said. “[I would reduce the points for things like] public intoxication because people are going to drink on campus, it just happens.”

Ostrander also says as though that Residential Life should have been more effective at letting students know about the new policy.

“I think that it should have been announced in a big way. I wasn’t informed and there was no way to inform me as far as I remember. I didn’t get an email, I didn’t get anything. We have section meetings and it was not brought up,” Ostrander said.

However, Pichardo says that at least in Martin the RAs have been telling students about the new policy in section meetings and that residents received an emailed about it.

For the complete policy see:

http://www.pace.edu/sites/default/files/files/housing-westchester/point-system-2016-2017.pdf