Pace explores options for the fall semester

Katie Walsh, Managing Editor

As the university approaches the end to the spring semester, questions still remain regarding what the plans are for the future.

Pace has made an official announcement that all in-person classes have been moved to remote learning until August 31 at this time.

Although, university officials hope to resume normal operations in the fall, they are planning multiple contingency plans.

As of now, faculty and staff have become aware of four possible scenarios.

1. The first scenario would indicate the normal start date of September 9, 2020. Students would be allowed to move onto campus beginning on September 1. However, some students would be able to continue remote learning if travel issues remain. The expectation would be for staff to make a staggered return starting in the middle of August.
  2. Another plan, that other colleges have already publicly adapted to for the Fall is continuing with remote learning through December 2020 or even through May 2021. This would mean no students would be residing on campus, and all campus operations would continue remotely
  3. Another scenario is a delayed start to the fall semester. The semester would begin between the dates of Oct. 1 and Nov. 1. The semester would extend into January and provide a smaller break in-between the fall/spring semesters. With this scenario, the university would move the winter intersession to take place from mid-August through September.  The Late Start Timing Proposal subject to approval. October 1 start:
    • Fall Semester begins Oct. 1; ends Jan. 13 (104 days) includes Winter breakin December and January
      • Fall Semester begins November 1; ends February 13 (104 days) includes Winter break in December and January
      • Spring Semester begins February 20; ends June 10 (110 days) includes Spring break – impact on May intersession and potentially Summer ISpring Semester begins January 27; ends May 17 (110 days) includes Spring break. :

November 1 start:

• Spring Semester begins February 20; ends June 10 (110 days) includes Spring break. This would impact May intersession and potentially Summer I

Even though, these are some of the ideas the university is exploring, a combination of all of these could take place. The school is looking into ways to social distance on campus, as well as looking into plans if a second wave of the virus were to occur while students were on campus.

The university is expected to publicly state a decision on a plan they will be following through with before the end of June.