Writing Enhanced Courses Taking Away From Other Priorities

With+so+many+major+and+minor+requirements%2C+along+with+prerequisites+that+requires+quality+writing%2C+what%27s+the+value+of+required+writing-enhanced+courses%3F+

With so many major and minor requirements, along with prerequisites that requires quality writing, what's the value of required writing-enhanced courses?

Trent Erwin

Trent Erwin

Trent Erwin

Josiah Darnell, Opinion Editor

Registering for classes is one of the many hectic things that college students have to deal with. When registering, students have to be sure they aren’t just signing up for any class, but classes that fit certain requirements that keep them on track for graduation.

Pace requires its students to take three English courses. English 110 is the only class than students can test out of, but students are guaranteed to take at least two English classes in Critical Writing and Writing for the Disciplines.

Those English classes are filled with essay writing and research from the the first day of class until the very last. Four portfolios are created and there are thousands among thousands of words written in each one. Peer editing is included, along with meetings with the professor. All of this is to enhance students’ writing ability and supersedes the average level of writing for a college student.

Along with those English classes, students take other courses that require essays to be written and books to read. All of this contributes to the advancement of a student’s writing and you would think that would be enough. But according to the core requirements of Pace, it’s not.

Despite taking those English classes and the other classes that require writing, not to mention the mandatory writing center appointments needed by those English classes, the university still believes that students need two extra writing enhanced courses to graduate.

The two writing enhanced courses fall under the required learning experiences category and consist of classes such as British Literature, World Mythologies, Myth, Magic, Legends in Early Brit, Modern Latin America and a host of others.

While those classes are worthwhile, to make them and other classes in that category a core requirement is unnecessary. Students need to focus on making sure they have the necessary classes for their majors and minors, especially for those that have more than one. They shouldn’t have to worry about writing enhanced classes, considering that their writing will enhance with the multiple classes they’ll take while in college.

There is enough space in open electives, major electives, and the areas of knowledge department for students to take courses that provide the writing lessons learned in British Literature and Modern Latin America.

For those to be an entire separate branch takes away from the time that could be going to the more significant requirements that will benefit students more in the long run.

Josiah Darnell, Opinion Editor

I am a junior Digital Journalism major with a minor in sports  marketing. I'm currently the Opinion Editor of the Pace Chronicle. I'm from Queens, NY,...